Help with Lawnmower Blenny please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

francis

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 4 inch lawnmower blenny in my tank and I believe he may not be getting enough to eat (rapid breath and mouth is usually open). I have not seem him pick at nearly anything either.

I have been reading online about feeding him algae sheets (which I am trying but have never seen him eat) along with trying to feed him frozen food (tried brine shrimp) but I have never definitely seen him eat. I do not have a sump to grow algae but I would definitely love to feed this guy and make sure he survives.

I was going to go to the LFS tomorrow and purchase some algae covered rock but I wanted to ask what I could do to better his chances. Also what is the kind of algae on the rock that I would want to get.

I do not have much algae in my tank that I notice at all so I was wondering if I could also just leave my lights on for hours at a time to help grow some. Please help, I will return him if I need to but if you have any ideas thank you~

I don't think rapid breathing and keeping his mouth open is because he's not getting something to eat. It may be something else.

I have one in my 60 gal tank and he is alway eating. I did start putting in algae sheets and he like them. I think you might have something else that is wrong. Check your nitrate levels and ammonia. Another thing you could try growing some macro algae in a separate tank to feed him.

my ammonia is at 0 while nitrates are not detectable. I was going to separate him tomorrow (hoping that I can catch him..) and try to "train" him onto a new diet. Are their any ideas on how I can do this?

I was thinking of just tying some algae sheets to a algae covered rock :T

Don't try and separate him. This will only cause stress. Get some algae sheets and a clip and leave a sheet in there for 24 hours. If it gone he is eating it. If not I would look into something else. Try some flakes maybe

Do you have a lawnmower blenny tom? I guess I don't want to stress him either...I like him and buying live rock with algae is not a long term solution. Oh and for the clips, the **** hermit crabs get to it but I will try clipping it to the wall again and pray he does, but I dont know just because when its on the rock he completely ignores it :T

As for the flakes just drop them in front of him? I am worried he is just a wild caught blenny and has no clue what this food stuff is

Yeah I have one. Try placing the clip at the top half of the glass. As for flakes put them in a net and lower the net in the water so they sink then kinda chumm the water lol.

Just moved the clip to the top, thanks Tom. I keep reading that lots of these guys are different in some will eat this and some will eat that. I am gonna go to the store tomorrow and buy some maybe green algae and see if he takes to that. I will also leave my lights on and hopefully grow something :( , its sad and ironic that I want algae now but I just want the little guy to be okay

Just get used to the idea that he may not last. I've had and heard of many lawnmowers that die when the natural growing algea in the tank is all gone. Best of luck with yours.

I replaced mine with a sailfin blenny. He easily adapted to eating both algea and food. Much prettier too.

Sailfin Blenny

I have noticed that lawnmower blennys breath faster normally than most fish.

I've had my lawnmower for several months. Since the beginning of my 29g first tank in fact. I never had a huge algae problem so mine has always eaten whatever I feed the tank. I do alos suggest the algae clip. I put one out every day pretty much for my blenny, tang and my sea hare.

I would suggest trying flake food first as they are supposed to be herbivores. Mine actually eats brine and mysis now. LOL I think I just got a crazy one.

Good luck though either way!

Here's the link on the lawnmower

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Sailfin/Algae Blenny

It's supposed to be a herbivore so I would def try those preparation before any live food. It can be a hard fish to keep if you get the wrong one but keep trying!

I had to spend weeks getting my scooter dragonet to eat prepared food so I know it's tough sometimes. Just have patience and keep trying. If he gets to emaciated you can always bring him back to the LFS rather than him starving.

austinsdad, I was wondering, how can I grow algae on a separate rock and switch it into the tank? I have a hob skimmer but no refugium. My lights are also just the regular kit lights that came with my tank :T .

Could I just leave a rock in some still tank water by the window and try and grow algae like that?

Also, I have some fish flakes already for my other fish but how do I feed it to him? Just drop them in the tank in front of him and hope for the best?

I just brought a algae blenny home from the LFS today and within hours the little guy was dead :( Even after watching him tour his 38 gallon home pearching on rocks and climbing into caves. Not sure whats going on, I acclimated for approx 1 hour and did a water test prior (where everything was within range) and a water change after placing him into tank. So if anybody has any thoughts please share, i was really excited about owning one and now he's gone...RIP

It could be from stress. How long ago did the lfs get him from shipment? When u add a new fish to a tank turn off the lights to reduce stress.

Thank you Tomchong! That's encouraging. I'll do that next time, and how long would you suggest keeping the lights off during the early stages?

I would suggest leaving them off for the rest of the day. Also a side note if you have allot of current in your tank you should turn off a few powerheads to allow the fish to get use to the tank. how r you acclimating them? I always float the bag and just add water directly to the bag. Then after a hour or so I net them into the tank.

Back
Top Bottom