Help With Nitrates!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had my tank for about 4-5 months now.

I am using a saltwater API liquid test kit.

I have tested all my levels, and everything is fine except nitrates are thought the roof!!

I have did partial water changes, added natural nitrate reducer, etc.

My fish seem to be doing fine, is it possible the test kit is bad? (it is not expired)

WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO TEST NITRATES? I WANT TO BUY A SEPARATE NITRATE TESTER

I am getting a Tropic Marin Nitrate test kit this week for my reef. Salifert, ELOS, and Tropic Marin are all high end brands with high quality test kits, there are other good ones as well.

What is your water change schedule?
Is this a reef?
What is the lighting and its schedule?
What algae is growing?

How much are you feeding? How often are you doing PWC`s and do you have a skimmer?

How much are you feeding? How often are you doing PWC`s and do you have a skimmer?

I am feeding everyday, not too much. Pellets or frozen shrimp.

I dont not have a skimmer, it is not a reef tank, just live rock.

I am not sure how often i am supposed to do PWc's?

I have light on for a couple hours a day. not enough light can cause nitrates to go up?

slimey green brown algae is growing on glass.

plz help

If you are having high nitrates then I would feed every other day and do weekly 20% PWC`s till you get it under control. I have 0 nitrates and I do both of those but it should bring it down for you. I also have a refugium. Are you able to do a refugium for some nutrient exporting with macro algea?

How often are you doing water changes? (Every two weeks? Every four weeks? Never?)

What are you actual nitrate readings, in ppm? ("Through the roof" may mean 10ppm to me, but 100ppm to other people.)

How often are you doing water changes? (Every two weeks? Every four weeks? Never?)

What are you actual nitrate readings, in ppm? ("Through the roof" may mean 10ppm to me, but 100ppm to other people.)

I did it once last week for the first time. i did about a 30% water change.

If my API test kit is accurate, my nitrates are 160+.

but like i said i've had fish in there for a while and they are all doing fine.

I am adding instant ocean natural nitrate reducer a little every day

I did it once last week for the first time. i did about a 30% water change....

If you have only done one water change in the 4-5 months your tank has been running, *that* is your nitrate problem. You should be doing them at least every other week... even better would be every week.

To get the nitrates down, I'd just do weekly 20% water changes. After about 8 weeks, your nitrates should be down around 20ppm. (That's assuming you're using close to 0ppm nitrate salt water. Are you using tap water or RO/DI?)

Back
Top Bottom