Help with Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think opinions vary as far as equipment and water changes etc. I change my water in my 20 gallon once a week and my 56 gallon as well and I have protein skimmers etc. I think you should definitely have the water tested by your LFS.

nikki_kaiser said:
I think opinions vary as far as equipment and water changes etc. I change my water in my 20 gallon once a week and my 56 gallon as well and I have protein skimmers etc. I think you should definitely have the water tested by your LFS.

I agree. The only reason I said not to do 50% is because the best thing to do is have someone else test their water...

You can never go wrong with doing water changes, especially with a small 30g. One big change is inevitable and seems to be avoided by many salties. On the freshwater side, we wouldn't think twice about doing one 50% (or more) pwc when in doubt.

Worst case scenario, the LFS also has a faulty test kit.

JMO

You can do very large water changes, without much stress on the tank inhabitants, but it takes a little work.

http://www.melevsreef.com/reducing_nitrates.html said:
If your tank is suffering from high nitrate levels, the success of your reef will depend on your being able to get this under control. Changing 100% of the water would be the ideal, but it may shock your corals, fish and invertebrates in the process. A more gradual way is recommended.

Example from my 55-gallon Reef : Make up 20 gallons of fresh saltwater in a trashcan in front of your tank. Drain 10 gallons of tank water into the 20 gallons of new water, and let that mix. Pump 10 gallons of that water back into your tank, and let the power heads mix that water up in your tank for a minute or so. Then repeat this three more times. Dispose of the now polluted 20 gallons of water. Make up another 20 gallons of fresh saltwater, and repeat this procedure. As long as your temperature and salinity match the tank, your inhabitants won’t be affected adversely, and with each rotation of water, the nitrates are being diluted and removed from your tank.

Simply pulling out all of the water in one massive water change puts stress on your entire tank. Doing small water changes consistently won’t bring nitrate levels down. At best, it will maintain them at their current levels. Using the example above, a tank that was at 80ppm would be around 30ppm after a couple of hours work and your population will be happy and unaffected.

I've done a 50% water change a few times and I've never had any issues. I also test the Ph of the water I put back in along with salinity and temp. It's clean water and the water isn't your source of bacteria. That should be either your filtration and/or live rock. If you REALLY want to put some time into it and you think your fish will be stressed you can dilute the water the same way people do when they have old tank syndrome (never had this but have read up on it). They take 50% of their water out and put it in a large container like a trash can or buckets. Then they dilute it with clean water and put it back in. They do it over a period of time and I can't remember how long but I know it wasn't weeks. I think it sounds goofy but it's worked for people. I'm cleaning my tank now but I will look for an article when I'm done and post it!

My bad! The guy above me basically said the same thing I think! LOL! Sorry! On cell and didn't read it!

nikki_kaiser said:
My bad! The guy above me basically said the same thing I think! LOL! Sorry! On cell and didn't read it!

Lol... Is it Friday already?

Oh wow my thread blew up!! Hahaha. I'm definitely going to try some of the options you guys/girls gave me. I have a well and with the ro/di and way it filters water 4/1 i'll have to stock up on it over the next couple of week so the well doesn't go dry lol. I'll try it in the next 2-3 weeks and post some updates. I do appreciate the help from everyone and their opinions. Thanks again!!.

Oh ya i forgot to ask one more question .... Nikki are you single?? Hahaha jk :p

I wouldnt take any action until you get your water tested by another source. If youre testing at 80 and are losing shrimp, you more than likely have high trates, but you need to verify that before taking drastic measures. If your lfs tests it and verifies the 80ppm reading, then its time to take action.

**edit** if you cant get your water test verified, simply do a 50% pwc and give it a few hours then retest. If youre at 80 now, you should test at 40 after... If not, your test kit is messed up

Ok sorry guys and girls it took me almost a full day to get 12 gallons of ro/di water a week ago bc i need to get a booster to jump start the psi for it. Bc of the well water set up at my house my ro/di only pumps out like 35-40psi so it takes forever. I did a 50% water change and tested the water with both the old and new api master saltwater kit and on the original one it still says 80ppm but the new on says 0ppm. So all along it was just the nitrate bottle were bad. Phew good to know. I appreciate the help with this everyone and thanks again :)!!!

Back
Top Bottom