Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think opinions vary as far as equipment and water changes etc. I change my water in my 20 gallon once a week and my 56 gallon as well and I have protein skimmers etc. I think you should definitely have the water tested by your LFS.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki_kaiser
I think opinions vary as far as equipment and water changes etc. I change my water in my 20 gallon once a week and my 56 gallon as well and I have protein skimmers etc. I think you should definitely have the water tested by your LFS.
I agree. The only reason I said not to do 50% is because the best thing to do is have someone else test their water...

Old 08-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can never go wrong with doing water changes, especially with a small 30g. One big change is inevitable and seems to be avoided by many salties. On the freshwater side, we wouldn't think twice about doing one 50% (or more) pwc when in doubt.

Worst case scenario, the LFS also has a faulty test kit.

JMO
Old 08-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #24
AA Team Emeritus

You can do very large water changes, without much stress on the tank inhabitants, but it takes a little work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.melevsreef.com/reducing_nitrates.html
If your tank is suffering from high nitrate levels, the success of your reef will depend on your being able to get this under control. Changing 100% of the water would be the ideal, but it may shock your corals, fish and invertebrates in the process. A more gradual way is recommended.

Example from my 55-gallon Reef : Make up 20 gallons of fresh saltwater in a trashcan in front of your tank. Drain 10 gallons of tank water into the 20 gallons of new water, and let that mix. Pump 10 gallons of that water back into your tank, and let the power heads mix that water up in your tank for a minute or so. Then repeat this three more times. Dispose of the now polluted 20 gallons of water. Make up another 20 gallons of fresh saltwater, and repeat this procedure. As long as your temperature and salinity match the tank, your inhabitants won’t be affected adversely, and with each rotation of water, the nitrates are being diluted and removed from your tank.

Simply pulling out all of the water in one massive water change puts stress on your entire tank. Doing small water changes consistently won’t bring nitrate levels down. At best, it will maintain them at their current levels. Using the example above, a tank that was at 80ppm would be around 30ppm after a couple of hours work and your population will be happy and unaffected.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:16 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've done a 50% water change a few times and I've never had any issues. I also test the Ph of the water I put back in along with salinity and temp. It's clean water and the water isn't your source of bacteria. That should be either your filtration and/or live rock. If you REALLY want to put some time into it and you think your fish will be stressed you can dilute the water the same way people do when they have old tank syndrome (never had this but have read up on it). They take 50% of their water out and put it in a large container like a trash can or buckets. Then they dilute it with clean water and put it back in. They do it over a period of time and I can't remember how long but I know it wasn't weeks. I think it sounds goofy but it's worked for people. I'm cleaning my tank now but I will look for an article when I'm done and post it!
Old 08-30-2012, 07:17 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My bad! The guy above me basically said the same thing I think! LOL! Sorry! On cell and didn't read it!
Old 08-30-2012, 07:22 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
My bad! The guy above me basically said the same thing I think! LOL! Sorry! On cell and didn't read it!
Lol... Is it Friday already?
Old 08-30-2012, 08:36 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benamayer

Lol... Is it Friday already?
LOL! Can you tell I need it to be?? Haha!
Old 08-31-2012, 07:57 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

LOL! Can you tell I need it to be?? Haha!
Hey Nikki- guess what? It's Friday!
Old 08-31-2012, 02:28 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benamayer

Hey Nikki- guess what? It's Friday!
It's been a VERY long week! LOL!

Tags
nitrates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com