Help with Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tmaida17

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so I've had high Nitrates for last 6 months and can't get them to lower at all. I originally had well water and was using conditioners for the first 4-5 months. Someone said they used spring water from the store so i tried that for 2 months and still nothing. I finally broke down and bought a Ro/Di 5 stage system 3-4 weeks ago, and since i started the system I've changed 10-15% of the water and top it off when needed. Originally 6 months ago i thought i was feeding to much so i cut that down a lot. I've bought a couple cleaner packages in the last 9 months and they don't seem to help. I clean the sponge 3 times a month. I don't know what else to do to lower it. If anybody knows a secret I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Sponge in your filter? I would take that out to start but we need the details on your tank first...

I meant foam filter by Aquaclear. It's suppose to help filter certain things but it turned out to be a good hiding spot for Copepods haha.

30 gallon aquarium
40-70 gallon aquaclear filtration system
( 2 total) 1 - 700 gph & 1 - 750 gph pumps
1 fluval heater
Lighting is 4x odessya 24w atintic blue
25lbs live rock
2 1/2 inch sand
1 full size clown
1 little yellow watchman goby
1 6 strip wrasse
1 spider decorator crab
Around 20 hermit crabs
Around 12-15 snails ( variety )
5 blue/purple mushrooms
1 scooter blenny that i can't get to eat :(

Couple things...

1- how often do you do 10% water changes
2- what is your nitrate reading at

Also, I knew you were talking about the filter sponge. I took mine out completely, and don't run mechanical filtration. It seems to be a safe harbor for decaying nasty stuff. Do you run a protein skimmer?

80ppm.. No protein skimmer bc i was told i didn't need one bc of such a small tank. You have a Aquaclear filter?

Yea aquaclear 70... What testing kit do you use? API? And yes, ditch the sponge... I run GFO in mine, and that's it

I've had issues like that as well. Make sure you clean your equipment every once in a while. I know that you have a small tank and some people don't think protein skimmers are needed but I will say this: protein skimmers reduce organic waste and thus reduce nitrates. If they work on larger tanks then they most definately would on a smaller one. They arent required to keep saltwater fish and I'm not saying it will remove all your nitrates but it definitely can't hurt. With that being said, if you did decide to go that route, make sure the skimmer can more than handle your tank. In other words buy the best one you can afford.

On your next water change, take your power head and spray your live rock to get any old food or fish waste off. Siphon the sand really well. If you have a deep bed siphon small amounts each water change until you've done the entire tank then start over. I would change 1/3 of my water if they get to high. Make sure you rinse out sponge/pads with RO/DI water each water change...I would use clean saltwater if you don't have live rock so not to kill off your good bacteria. I have live rock so I change mine completely as its not my main source of bacteria for my tank.

You can buy something to chemically absorb them which is a smart move although finding out "why" you have them would be more beneficial in the long run. Just an opinion. =)

I agree with all those actions, but the OP said he has 80ppm... Fish can sustain up to 40ppm, levels above these are most likely going to be lethal, especially after 6 months. My guess is that there's something wrong with his test kit, maybe it's a bad batch, or he's using a freshwater kit.. Who knows. The nitrate tests are sometimes finicky and if you dont follow the instructions exactly, you will get skewed results. They need to bring a water sample to an LFS to get tested, bottom line.

I agree with everything above. Are you losing fish or are those fish doing okay? 80ppm would likely have them dead pretty quick. How often are you feeding?

Yes, i use a api test kit. Suppose to be a good better one out there with the little tubes. I bought the same kit in sale so i'll try that one tomorrow and let you know what the nitrate levels say. I've never lost a fish and try me i read the directions each time so every things exact. The only thing i notice that seems to die quickly are my shrimp. Longest i had one last was 3 weeks. Replacing the sand over a period of time will help you think?

You test for copper or have you ever put any kind of copper based treatment in the tank?

High nitrate and phosphate levels are not good on shrimp as well as any traces of copper from medicines used to treat parasites.

I use to put api stress coat in. Only copper i can think of is when i use to use the well water maybe through the pipes

Take your water and ask your fish store to test it for you. They will test for copper if you ask them to and i would rather than buying a test. If the nitrates come back high then that's probably your issue. Is your PH ok?

If you do have copper present, run a poly filter in your aquaclear, and keep doing changes with RODI...

Its a 30g tank. My first thought was why only a 10% water change per week? Up it to one 50% weekly until the levels are detectable by API kits (anything over 20ppm is too hard to determine in these kits). Easy problem to fix while trying to figure out the source of the problem. No skimmers and other equipment is needed since they only postpone water changes. This is the one huge benefit of owning your small 30g tank versus a 75g with sump - you get superior water quality by changing the water and not postponing it by use of equipment.

I would not do 50% water changes until a new set of testing can be done... There may not even be a problem existing here. If he brings water to get tested, and it ends up only being 20ppm, then yes, a 50% change and then weekly 10-15% will help...

Back
Top Bottom