Help with Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gplundberg

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello Everybody!

I am having serious trouble with nitrates in my aquarium and would like help. I do partial water changes every week (5 gallon water change for a 36 gallon tank). I do not have the time or equipment to do big water changes. I an attempting the vodka method (started it 2 days ago) but I would also like another method to get rid of nitrates. All ideas and/or thoughts are highly appreciated.

Thanks!

besides going with a nitrate reactor (which is bulky and expensive) carbon dosing and pwc's are your only option.

Are you using RO/DI water? I just found out my tap water was very high in nitrates like 120ppm. So i had to switch to RO/DI water

I use tap water. Can I use my salt water test kit for the tap water.

vodka dosing is an awesome method although its just going to retain the issue and not cure it.

hows ur stock looking? whats in there? whats the nitrate levels? and what sort of substrate do you have?

My stock is a royal gramma Basslet, 2 clownfish, pink spotted goby and a Hippo tang (1.5 inches, an going to sell it soon) nitrate around 60 ppm and I have a sand substrate.

If your tap water has nitrates then PWC won't lower them. RO/DI is the way to go!

I have about 5 ppm in my tap water. Is there a cheaper alternative instead of buying an ro di unit?

Not really. I mean you could buy the water as needed, but you'll surpass the price of an rodi unit at some point

Update: The vodka method is not working as it should (I put 0.1 ml for a 36 gallon tank) Cyno Bacteria growing a lot slower than it was an it is going away in some parts.

You've only dosed the vodka one time? I so of course it's not working. The heterotrophic bacteria take time to establish once you start carbon dosing. Hence why the doses increase over time.

That being said rodi water is your friend. Save you time and money down the road.

You've only dosed the vodka one time? I so of course it's not working. The heterotrophic bacteria take time to establish once you start carbon dosing. Hence why the doses increase over time.

I've done it for about a week

It's gonna take longer than a week to see effects. Do you actually know why you're dosing it? If not here's an article on ithttp://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/

I would go with an RO unit. It will save you time, money (over buying water or constantly using additives), and frustration.

Back
Top Bottom