help with red hair algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
hey fellas got home today with a small patch of red hair algae? other than having a lot of circulation is there another method to treat it?.... let me know thanks

Can you get a pic? I haven't seen red hair algae. It may be another type of macro....

This is the best I could get for now I have been treating the problem and cutting my light time short and it's starting to die out but before this picture it was pretty hairy....

img_906988_0_bea85f8600153a8dd191cff1aa73dcb5.jpg

Oh, that looks like the beginning of cyano.

Siphon, PWCs, less lighting/feeding. Once you get rid of it, get some more water movement to those areas.
Do you still have the foam in that fluvial?

Last edited:
Do you rinse them out in the old SW when you do a PWC? If not, do that and you should see a vast improvement. Personally, I take mine out. Um, shouldn't you be watching the game! LOL!

lol... i am back and fourth..... but i think i might just take mine out instead.... I relize that it catches especially whatever food they don't eat filter back in so that could be an issue to.....

Foam inserts what benifit will that do if I take them out or leave them in? Just windering probably a dumb question? It's starting to go away and I haven't taken out my Foam inserts yet so just wondering if I should still take them out to prevent it from happening again in the future....

Thanks

It's one less thing to clean and mine were causing high nitrAtes and other algae issues. It's really a personal preference....

It's one less thing to clean and mine were causing high nitrAtes and other algae issues. It's really a personal preference....

Yeah I have to check my level when I get home one of my small hairy Crabs look like it died last night but I don't know for sure yet until I get home.... I don't know if my Nitrates were high... I am just hoping it's just shed it's skin.... He was one of my Hithchikers when I got my LR.....

Hairy crabs are generally not a good thing...can you get a pic?

Hairy crabs are generally not a good thing...can you get a pic?

I could only describe it... Well it was white almost sandy looking very small though I could see it every now and then you could just see the hair on it's legs... I have a another one that is probably quarter size and he only shows himself at night but he is also a little hairy.. he kind of like a Marroon, Red and Dark Marron colored and he sticks his head out here and there... But they seem Nocturnal.... I can see if i could get a Pic today hopefully I could get a good shot.... Oh but anyways my levels were fine last night when I got home and that hairl crab that I thought died it was just his shell casing it's probably getting bigger....

Cough in the Act!!!!

Alright so I was wondering why I was seeing dead patches of Coraline (WhiteSpot) over night usaully it would take a couple days before die off on coraline but my Calcium level is 2 high for it to just died off over night But i could be wrong.... Well anyway I notice that quarter Size crab in the same spot where all the white spots were at and I stayed to watch him that little creep was eating away on the coralline growing on the rock I saw him take a few good chunks off.... SO i took the rock out and QT it in a Small 1.5 gallon Tank i have sitting around.... He still alive this morning just don't know what to do with him know... Seem to be a Bad thing to have in my tank if he's destroying my coraline on my LR.... That Little :new-alien:....

That's why I took both of my emerald crabs back to the LFS. They were cleaning off my live rock...

See if you can take him back to an LFS and get a credit for him.

Back
Top Bottom