Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-29-2012, 05:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Help With Snowflake Eel Tank

I have a few things sitting around the house being unused and whated to see what people thought. I want to set up a tank for Just a single snowflake eel, I have always wanted one but do not want it in my SPS reef tank. I have the following equipment and am wondering if it would be an adequet home for the little guy.

Equipment
2x 24watt t5ho (just to light the tank nothing major)
30+ Lb's or Rock
BH-1000 HOB Protien Skimmer
Fluval 200watt Heater
40g Tank
Bare bottom for easy clean up

Things I need to buy
2x Power heads
Snowflake eel

I know the tank is a bit on the small side but I see no issue with this for an Snowflake all alone in a tank.

My only consern is a lid...how should I do this? they dont have glass tops for a 40g. I was thinking of using egg create and cutting it to fit the tank and the skimmer as close as possible then filling in the gaps around the skimmer with sponge or something to keep him from crawling out?

Water changes are not a problem and could be done quite regularly, At least 10% once a week like the rest of my tanks.

Please leave me feed back.

CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've never had an eel but I've heard they can get through very small holes, even egg crate depending on size. My lid to my tank broke a few months back and I couldn't locate one in stock. It was suggested to me that I have one made by a glass place. I did finally find one (waited over 2 months for it on back order) but this was the route I was going to go if I couldn't find anything.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:57 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki_kaiser View Post
I've never had an eel but I've heard they can get through very small holes, even egg crate depending on size. My lid to my tank broke a few months back and I couldn't locate one in stock. It was suggested to me that I have one made by a glass place. I did finally find one (waited over 2 months for it on back order) but this was the route I was going to go if I couldn't find anything.
thanks for the info,
Old 08-30-2012, 04:54 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

A reasonably grow. Snowflake eel is unlikely to get through the holes. But they are retardedly strong for their size. Could probably lift it or even break it. Maybe try an acrylic lid cut to size? That could even be weighted at the corners.
MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:25 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

If it's a 40g breeder Aqueon makes a glass lid. Another option is acrylic. Most Menards and stores like that carry it, it's usually under the name of Lucite or Plexiglas.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferzbooboo View Post
If it's a 40g breeder Aqueon makes a glass lid. Another option is acrylic. Most Menards and stores like that carry it, it's usually under the name of Lucite or Plexiglas.
my only concern is because of the HoB equipment beings this wont be a tank that has a sump. I dont know how i will put a tight lid on it. I would have to make a template and have it cut out I guess.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:08 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Def will want a top. I worked at a whole sale supplier an the eel tank always had to have double lids cause they are like snakes. Will get the hell out of ur tank if it wants too. Good luck.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverBs View Post
thanks for the info,

I was at my LFS last night. My buddy told me a story of a snowflake that escaped through the tank plumbing and all the way into the bioball tank that supports the store tank network. He said he has been in there for years, and pops up to show his face once and a while. He has no idea what he is eating.

He said that those snowflake eels are shifty creatures.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

LOL! I had a friend in college who had something like that happen! He looked all over for him and couldn't find him...he found him in his sump! Not sure how the heck he got down there but he did! That's just crazy! I think the snowflakes are cool but quite honestly, I'm SCARED of them! LOL!
Old 08-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Haha yeah I'm a bit concerned how Im going to keep him in the tank because I know they enjoy escaping.

Tags
eel, flake, snowflake, snowflake eel, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com