Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-12-2008, 02:09 PM   #31
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Toronto View Post
Thanks for the information ryshark. Are there supposed to be shut-off valves for the intake and return hoses? I find it a bit ridiculous that once it's connected it can'e be removed unless you untighten the clamps and pull (hard) to get the hoses off. Why did you take down your setup and move to something else? I plan on going with Live Rubble in the basket instead of the bio balls. I can't find much detail in the manual about that little overflow skimmer, what's involved in cleaning it? And how does that little drain-tube work (what's it for?). Also, do you happen to have the TOM guy's email address still? Maybe I can find out about that upgraded protein skimmer they have. Thanks!

Thre are no shut-off valves, so you described the process correctly. As I got more and more "addicted" to reef style tank I realized I really needed a true sump set-up. Plus I got tired of the maintenace you need to do on the overflow box to prevent the tank from overflowing. You're right there is not any information on the oveflow box maintenance so I found out the hard way. You need to pull off those little airline tubes and clean them regularly and basically take it all apart and clean all the gunk out. Are you talking abou the drain tube that comes out of the aqualifter pump? Or the drain tube that comes off the protein skimmer collection cup? I will get you that guys email address. I can look it up later.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:46 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisel View Post
I'm sure you could rig up some shut off valves pretty easily if it doesnt come with them.
I think that's what I will have to do. The reason I don't want to go this route is the tubing is not standard plastic tubes, they're accordian style tubes which are only 'flat' where the connections are. So rigging a shut off valve in the middle of the accordian may be a little difficult, but not undoable. I'll experiment with it this weekend.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:51 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Toronto View Post
I think that's what I will have to do. The reason I don't want to go this route is the tubing is not standard plastic tubes, they're accordian style tubes which are only 'flat' where the connections are. So rigging a shut off valve in the middle of the accordian may be a little difficult, but not undoable. I'll experiment with it this weekend.
Yeah, you might even have to replace the tubing. Let us know how it goes. This unit seems like more of a hassle than useful. I cant wait to see how it actually works on your system.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:05 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryshark View Post
I am very familiar with that Tom Rapids Pro. I used that exact setup for about a year. One huge improvement to control nitrates is to get rid of the bio-balls and leave that chamber empty or add good chemical filtration. Also replace glass cylinders in the bottom chamber with live rock rubble. Then raise the water so that it comes up to the top of the bottom basket so that all the LR rubble is under water. The overflow skimmer needs maintenance otherwise your fish tank will overflow, you really need to keep up on that. I actually got by, using it for a reef for about 6-months. The airstone protein skimmer doesn't skim that much crap out. The good thing here is that according to a guy I was emailing that worked at TOM, he said they have an upgraded venturi type skimmer that can be added to that unit. I think this should be available by now, but I am not sure. The return pump works pretty good, in fact I am still using it now in my new sump. The polypads for it can get expensive, so I just bought this MarineDepot.com
which is WAY WAY WAY cheaper than buying the Tom polyfiber pads that are designed for it. You have to cut these yourself, but well worth the savings. I got ripped off when I bought my PS4 unit from an LFS for I think about $400, this was when I was brand new to fish tanks, over a year ago now. With all that said, it reminds me that I need to try to sell my used one.
I finally got around to setting this thing up... so many darn parts, it's ridiculous. The concept is good though. It's just so loud though, the water tricking down the corrugated tubing and fallingi into the chamber in the wet/dry filter. Did you have the same problem, any recommended solutions? I'm thinking about going to Home Depot to pick up some regular (non corrugated) tubing to see if this helps at all. I'm not sure if perhaps I just didn't set it up properly... ?
Old 01-27-2009, 08:12 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Regular

Any updates?

Tags
fowlr, setup, starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com