Help with Tempature

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rcolbath

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 180 gal.fowlr no fish yet I just picked up 230lbs of LR from LR.com yesterday. (the new keys rock looks really good by the way) Just before I got the LR I added 2 new power heads one 600gph and one 800gph. at the bottom to get better flow as per Mike @ LR.com advice. before the 2 new PHs my tank was at 76.4 without a heater. After the PHs it went to 79.3 I added the LR and this mourning it was 80.3 now its 81.2 I just got home so I turned off the lights and the tank had glass tops I took them off too. I really don't want to have to run a chiller Does any one else have a problem with temp. due to lighting and PHs ? Please help. Rory

I would keep the glass tops off anyway. 2 reasons - Heat, and pH. When I had my glass tops on, I could never get my pH stable, and the glass would actually get warm to the touch. I did like Steve S. suggested and bought an egg crate at Home Depot and used that instead. Powerheads will add a little more heat, but shoudn't add that much. What kind of lighting do you have? You may want to get a couple of fans that will blow across the water to help keep it cooler. Once you find an average temperature, adjust your heater to only change within 1 to 2 degrees so it doesn't get out of hand. HTH

Mike

Thanks Mike
I haven't run the heater sense the PH were in.Thats what has me worried. The lighting I have now is 4 30w Florestent But I was getting the lunar compact from Aqualife with 4 96W CF and 4 3/4 W lunar moon glo . Mike said I need to be between 76 and 80 for the Keys LR.I just don't like being on the high end. I think becouse I had to take out maybe 40gal. to put the LR in less water more heat. not sure.

I had a simaler problem but cured it with two small fans blowing strait down on the sump 24/7 mine stays at 78.8 to 79.4 no heater at all. But i would'nt take off my glass tops to much evap. The fans will evap. enough 8O :mrgreen:

Even though you might not need your heater right now, I would use it and set your heater around 79 degrees. You don't want your temperature to fluctuate any more than a couple of degrees. At night when your lights are off, the temp will drop. I keep mine at 78 degrees for a happy medium, so its not too high, or too low. As far as the glass tops are concerned, it wasn't a problem in the beginning for me, but if you plan on having Tangs you may want to reconsider. I had a terrible time with pH, and gas exchange getting trapped under the glass. Yes, the water does evaporate faster, but that is expected. Mine evaps about 2 gallons a day. Some people on this board evap around 2-4 gallons a day. If you are planning on running 4x96w pc's, then you may want to consider getting a fan or two. I have 4x65 pc's and it does warm up the water a bit. HTH

Mike

Thanks every one Got a fan last night and put it over the sump that worked this morning the temp was at 77.9 and now after the lights all day its only at 78.3 the glass and the fan worked. :) If I can figure out how to send pictures I'll send some of the LR Thanks again.

Did you ever consider that with a lack of flow you may only have gotten the bottom temp which may have been a bit lower than the top? I don't know how much of a dif it would be but if there is no flow the top of the tank will be warmer than the bottom most likely. Even without the heater the added heat from the PH and the fact that that much water in a glass tank will retain heat so it takes a while to drop back down.

Thats a good point Matt thanks. I think I have it stable. taking the glass top off made a big difference.Its been at 76.5 to 77.3 all day so I feel a lot better now. I haven't had to run the fan either. I may even have to turn my heater back on I would rather use it than a chiller. Thanks every one for the help.

Back
Top Bottom