help with test results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottayy

Aquarium Advice Addict
OK, this is my first time dealing with bad results (other than when I cycled) so I'm not quite sure what to do.

I just re-aquascaped including changing the substrate so I am sure that is what caused this.

Ammonia: 0.5
Nitrite: 0.5
Nitrate: 20

I did a 20% PWC about 7 hours ago. Do I just keep doing daily PWC until the numbers are right? (my API test kit booklet says ammo-lock and stress zyme to treat ammonia and nitrite? - any experience there?)

Also, the SG in my tank was 1.025. I mixed some saltwater at 1.024 (to try to bring it down a little.. slowly). I end up with 1.026 in the tank. This is the SECOND time this has happened (getting a higher combined reading when mixing tank salt and mixed salt). What is up with this?

Thanks in advance.

Keep doing PWC's. Are you using a refractometer for the SG readings? If not, get one, or calibrate the one you have.

I am using a refractometer, and I just calibrated it because it's new (used calibrating fluid). I'm thinking I might have salt creep getting back into the water or something.

I will do another PWC tonight.

I use freshwater for topoff. Tap water treated with Prime.
I don't have a reef though, just fish only.

I'm looking at getting an RO/DI unit.. but at the moment I don't want to be lugging jugs back and forth from the LFS.

Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrite: 1
Nitrate: 20
kH: 11
pH: 8.2

I think i am going through a mini mini cycle (ammonia went down, nitrites went up) since I did the substrate change.

I really really dislike my level of nitrites with livestock in the tank.

What sucks is I've used up all of my salt and can't do a pwc tonight. It'll have to wait till tomorrow morning.

maybe try an even lower SG level in the new water. This is just a guess but, the problem MAY be that your evaporation rate is super high, thus your SG remains high, maybe try to use 7% SW + 3% FW for your next 10% PWC. That might lower the SG more

how are your fishes doing?

Also, just as a warning, don't buy ammo-lock and stresszyme probably won't help you either. API is just trying to sell you their stuff.

Yeah it turns out I was reading the refractometer wrong. There was always this gray line in between the white and blue and I was reading either side of that line. Now I turn the eyepiece until there is no gray line in between and read where the blue meets white.

The SG is at 1.023.

My fishes appear fine, but I know the 1ppm nitrite isn't good for them.

Man, looks like more water changes are in my immediate future. I had it stable for like it's first week after cycling but then I changed things and messed things up lol

amm: 0.5
nitrite: 0.5
nitrate 20

If the nitrates didn't keep shooting back up to 20 I'd be worried. At least I have the peace of mind knowing the nitrogen cycle is in action and should be stable soon.

But boy is it a lot of work! And boy do I feel bad for my fishy friends. I hope I don't kill any before I stabilize.

Yeah I haven't taken any out yet for that reason. Then going to remove it very slowly.

Back
Top Bottom