Heniochus vs. Moorish idol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VinnyLLU

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm thinking about putting one or both of these when I upgrade to my 150 gallon system. I'm especially intrigued by the MI and would like to know if anyone has any luck with keeping these species. I've also heard that the Heniochus can be tough too. Any pros and cons or general advice would be much appreciate. Thanks!

I was always told that the Heniochus was much easier to keep than the Idol. Is this not the case?

Yes, but ultimately, make sure whichever you choose eats prepared food before your eyes, before it's bagged.

I agree with X, but between the two, I believe the Heni's are much easier to keep. Look them up on LiveAquaria...Heni is easy care...Moorish is expert only (probably gonna cost twice as much too).

I love both these fish... But in my 20 years in the hobby, I've never met anyone who has kept either one. Live aquaria suggests "tempting" the Heniochus with an anemone... Don't know how feasible this is though.

When I was importing into Florida, the best Moorish idols came from Hawaii. They would eat flake foods within a day or 2 of arrival. The nicer looking ones were coming in from Bali but because of the distance, they were in bags for longer periods of time which took their toll on them so I stopped bringing them in from anywhere but Hawaii. That being said, the fish , in general, is a more difficult fish to keep in an aquarium. They do better in schools than as individuals and and have been know to.. (and I quote my friend, the late Dick Boyd) " flake out for no reason." ( He kept a school of 20 in his 1,000 gal tank.) They need space, and lots of it. They can also be belligerent to other fish in the tank as well. Make sure you feed both meat AND vegetation if you get them.

B&W Henniochus used to be called ( and maybe still are) "Poor Man's Moorish Idols". The biggest difference is that they tend to be a hardier fish and less expensive. Some of the hennis are not as hardy as the H. acuminatus however so you need to be specific when you say Heniochus. We treated them like Butterflies with much success. Varied diet, open swimming area, no tankmates to chew their dorsal fins, etc. worked best.

Hope this helps (y)

There is a really great thread (2-pt) on MI's starting here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=993712. I kept one for over a year until he suddenly stopped eating for no apparent reason as happens often with them. I got him from LA and he ate immediately and everything I fed. He was a model citizen, never bothering any fish no matter how small. I purposefully had no fish that would intimidate him, which I think helped. I wouldn't put one in anything less than 6 ft long and probably not less than 180. I think that was my problem. They grow fast. When I get my 265 set up, I'll definitely try another. He was in my 5 ft 100g, definitely too small. They have great personality! I miss him.

I currently have one in my 100 gallon tank waiting for its new home arriving next week which is a 220 gallon corner tank. Looking forward to that!

Mine currently eats mostly everything I put in the tank and is also very fat. I ordered some frozen angel fish formula food which contains real sponge which is the MI's main diet in the wild. He gobbles that up too. Took him a while to sniff it out though!

Attachments

• image-3600519248.jpg
    image-3600519248.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 100
That's super cool. Please upload pics of your 220 when you get it...

Back
Top Bottom