Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-23-2009, 11:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to match55 Send a message via MSN to match55 Send a message via Yahoo to match55
hermit crab molt?

recently I saw some legs, not just a few, but like all the legs from one hermit.
There is nothing in my tank will eat them now.
I only have 3peppermint shrimps, 1 ema crab, and should have 7 hermits, and I have put a lot of extra shell for them to change with.

my question is will hermit crab molt like shrimps OoO?

don't think the herimts will kill each other for food, cuz I do feed them every other day.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:30 PM   #2
is back to save the day!

Yes. Hermit crabs DO molt. If they are all still alive, and you can visually see each of them, then those legs could just be their molt. However, it could be their real legs. I think you would need to inspect the hermit crabs closer, to see if they had any missing limbs, to determine whether or not it was just the molt, or the real deal.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to match55 Send a message via MSN to match55 Send a message via Yahoo to match55
the legs ain't seperated, its whole set of its front legs LOL
I couldn't get a picture cuz its located in a very deep and dark cave which my camera won't able to capture.
but I assume if hermit crabs kill each other, it will be like 1 legs over here and one there something like that, since all my hermits r about the same size.

I will pay a little more attention on them, and I m gonna set a trap and try to get all my hermits in it, so I can count XD

thanks zero
Old 09-23-2009, 11:45 PM   #4
is back to save the day!

Np.

Well, if they are all connected, then my guess is, that what you are seeing are just the molts. If nothing in your tank is large enough to tear through your hermits, and leave severed chunks of body parts all over the place, then i will put my chips on the molting theory. I would think that if it was hermit on hermit action.. you would see the legs and body attached, and would notice it decaying, or being eaten. Not torn apart, and limbs scattered throughout the tank. But, as some say.. let the chips fall where they may. I sure hope you don't have a rabies infected hermit crab. Watch your hands! haha.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
Np.

Well, if they are all connected, then my guess is, that what you are seeing are just the molts. If nothing in your tank is large enough to tear through your hermits, and leave severed chunks of body parts all over the place, then i will put my chips on the molting theory. I would think that if it was hermit on hermit action.. you would see the legs and body attached, and would notice it decaying, or being eaten. Not torn apart, and limbs scattered throughout the tank. But, as some say.. let the chips fall where they may. I sure hope you don't have a rabies infected hermit crab. Watch your hands! haha.
ewwwww hahaha~ I never think about that, haha like I never wash my hand lol, my mom will kill me if I don't wash my hand after I play with my tank.

oh and actually my shrimps pull the part out, so I took a picture of the legs LOL.
tank is under blue light now, so have to use flash and I suck so the picture is bad XD~~
Old 09-24-2009, 12:34 AM   #6
is back to save the day!

Hmm.. idk.. that looks more like half of its body rather than just a couple front legs. Could be molt. Are you missing any of your hermits? If they all come out when you feed the tank, i would suggest counting. See if any casualties happened.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:50 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yea I know it looks half of the body LOL
I will do the counting tmr morning.
hope they r all here, or something really bad is in my tank OoO
Old 09-24-2009, 01:40 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Don't hermit crabs usually eat their molt?
Old 09-24-2009, 02:00 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscVelocity View Post
Don't hermit crabs usually eat their molt?
i have no idea,
Old 09-24-2009, 09:54 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Yes, it looks like a molt to me and crabs will eat pretty much anything they find that they think might be a tasty snack. I have found hermit crab molts look like the real thing. Remember, anything with an exoskeleton needs to molt in order to grow.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crab, hermit, hermit crab, hermit crabs, molt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com