Hermit Crab vs. Feather Duster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

capj64

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just received a shipment from Blue Zoo yesterday. I purchased two dwarf feather dusters - Green and Yellow, Bispira. I was watching them earlier and suddenly one of them sucked back up into it's tube, then came back out, jerked about a bit and then sucked back in. I realized that my largest hermit (about 1") was sitting on the duster's tube picking at it! Are Hermits and dusters not compatible?

That's a good question. I have a feather duster, regular hermit crabs, halloween hermit crab, and nothing seems to be picking on the feather duster. What type of hermit it is?

My hermits dont bother my duster. Maybe it's because it's a new item in the tank and the hermit is just checking it out. Just keep an eye on it and if the same hermit continues to bother the duster remove it and banish it to your sump.

Don't know. When I purchased my tank, the LFS sold me five hermit crabs. All of them have grown well, but the one that was picking on the duster has grown at least five times bigger than the other four. But it looks like a regular crab like the others, just bigger.

My hermits dont bother my duster. Maybe it's because it's a new item in the tank and the hermit is just checking it out. Just keep an eye on it and if the same hermit continues to bother the duster remove it and banish it to your sump.

lol, I don't have a sump but I do have a 6 gallon banishment tank :) That's where my blue damsel ended up this morning. I had moved him to the main DT and he was getting along fine with the clown I have but when I added the Chromis that came yesterday, he became the blue devil.

When I caught the crab picking on the duster, I moved him to the other side of the tank and so far he's not come back around. So hopefully you're correct about it just being something new. I know the clown has to check everything out :) even if I just rearrange a rock.

That's the best thing you can do when you add something new and that is observe and see that everything get along with each other.

Wow, that and 10lbs of potatos would make a good meal. :)
Has he stopped messing with your featherduster?

Thanks Mitch. When they're both out it's a pretty sight :)

lol, TC....yes, he's crawled over them but hasn't stopped to pick. One of the smaller ones was picking on it but it didn't seem to mind so I assume that the crab was just cleaning it. When the big crab did it, it was just too much of a pinch :)

Here's a picture of what I call Hermit Crab abuse!
img_1113528_0_2f6ebb88dd966cb6deaa160e9d732f68.jpg

Back
Top Bottom