Hermits shredded shell!!??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rossij101

Aquarium Advice Activist
Will a hermit crabs shredded shell( body shell) cause slow release of nitrates or other potentially harmful compounds

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

No the shell is not an actual part of the hermit crab, it did not produce it, when it sheds the shell it will try to find a new one, it'll be very vulnerable till it does, but that shell won't decompose or give off any chemicals at all

Big-j said:
No the shell is not an actual part of the hermit crab, it did not produce it, when it sheds the shell it will try to find a new one, it'll be very vulnerable till it does, but that shell won't decompose or give off any chemicals at all

It's his body shell his skin if you like it sing his host shell

Ok ok well in that case it is a biological product so yeah it will decompose but depending on what you got in the tank it'll likely get eaten

Big-j said:
Ok ok well in that case it is a biological product so yeah it will decompose but depending on what you got in the tank it'll likely get eaten

Ok I have a 2 clowns a cleaner wrass a blue damsel a valentini puffer 2 hermits a sand sifting star??....,

I've had my hermits and cleaner shrimp molt their exoskeletons and never took them out, they usually get eaten fairly quick in my opinion. They usually eat it themselves (assuming something molted and didn't just die) it gives them the calcium and whatnot for strength. Has anything been attempting to eat it?

nxb161 said:
I've had my hermits and cleaner shrimp molt their exoskeletons and never took them out, they usually get eaten fairly quick in my opinion. They usually eat it themselves (assuming something molted and didn't just die) it gives them the calcium and whatnot for strength. Has anything been attempting to eat it?

It's definitely a malting from my hermit! It has moved an inch or two over night so maybe someones had a go!! It's been there since yesterday evening

I had a blue leg hermit die last night and my nassarius snails were all over it. when the lights went out, my CBS came and yanked it out of the shell and went to town! it was pretty cool to watch

Ha ha sure it was, this ain't a dead hermit tho it's a malting...I just wanted to know weather to get rid or leave it?

Back
Top Bottom