Hey guy fish id help please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lumis

Aquarium Advice Regular
My girl friend got this puffer today. She was told it was a map puffer. Can anyone confirm this. Thanks again everyone.

ForumRunner_20120316_194546.jpg

Not sure exactly,,I really don't think its a map though ..I'm curious to find out though..Pretty cool looking..How big is it?

EDIT: I think its a blue arothron puffer fish

4 to 5 inches.I will get some other pics soon

Cool,after more looking,its definitely a guinea fowl/blue puffer ..they will get massive ..i hope you have a 250 + tank

Hope you know what you got ,,its a very cool puffer ,i'm a little jealous :lol:
It will later turn into a beautiful gold puffer( under perfect conditions ) ,,,awesome pick up ,your GF did good

I am a lil worried now I only have a 110 gal. I need to find specs on him. Thanks sooo much for your help.

Looks like she got a good deal. Paid $80 for him. Looks like they are going for much more.

ForumRunner_20120316_214410.jpg

ForumRunner_20120316_214424.jpg

Yes that is a good deal,,i'll give you 100 :lol:..JK,,but good luck with it..beautiful fish

It's a........

My girl friend got this puffer today. She was told it was a map puffer. Can anyone confirm this. Thanks again everyone.

View attachment 82922

If this fish came from the Pacific,( most likely the Sea of Cortez through Panama or Costa Rica) it's a Guinea Fowl Puffer (Arothron meleagris). It will grow large and it will have a nice set of choppers :D It likes to chomp on pieces of coral so it's not a good reef tank fish. It's also can get agressive when it comes to feeding time so it's not suitable for all types of tankmates.
That being said, there is also a yellow/ golden phase of this fish which is really a great looking fish and hard to resist :brows: (I believe this is the male in breeding color while the blue is the female. At least that's what I was told by my Costa Rican supplier.) $80 sounds like a good price depending on where you're at ;)

Just a thought, Next time someone wants to get a fish for your tank, if they or you don't know much about the fish, have them get you a gift certificate instead. It's a much safer thing to do and less of a hassle than if they get you somethng that you can't or shouldn't have in there. (Take that from a former pet store manager ;))

Watch your fingers(y)

Back
Top Bottom