hi aa !! .. and a question or 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kukki

Aquarium Advice Regular
well ive been a troll here for about a week and figured it was about time to sign up and say hi :D

ive read and read, and read.... and read, and read some more, there are a just a few things that im alittle stuck on tho..

i recently bought a 29 gal ~( would have been larger but ugh, no room )~ and soon to buy a 10 gal QT tank

as far as protein skimmers / bio wheels go.. i understand that bio wheels are super nitrate factories and i should shy away from them, but can they be used together at al with LR / LS or wouldnt that create to much for the system to handle? .... just curious if a combo of the 2 would be better than just one or the other

im looking to have live sand and rock... maybe about 25 - 30 lbs of rock and 2-3 inch SB.. what all goes with cleaning them off occasionally? i read turkey basters worked well, but what about the sand, can a clean up crew manage that alone, or is there something that also needs to be done about it?

also one last thing, sorry lol.. can anyone point me to some good places to buy LR from?.. my LFS does sell it, but not in large supply, and ive looked around alot at places but dont know for sure whos the better place to buy from

im asking questions i prolly already know the answer to but .. id rather be safe and ask, and get my Hi AA in there :) ... and yes i hate capitol letters =P

~kukki

recently bought a 29 gal

Nice. This is what I have. Good set up, IMO. :wink:
as far as protein skimmers / bio wheels go.. i understand that bio wheels are super nitrate factories and i should shy away from them, but can they be used together at al with LR / LS or wouldnt that create to much for the system to handle?
Correct. With the LS and LR, the bio-wheel is very much un needed, and will do probably nothing but create a problem with nitrates. For my 29 gal system, I've got 2 powerheads running a total of 440 GPH, and then a HOB filter running about 300 GPH. Point here being, that your LS and LR will be your main means of filtration, you just need some waterflow going on, hence the powerheads.
can anyone point me to some good places to buy LR from?.. my LFS does sell it, but not in large supply, and ive looked around alot at places but dont know for sure whos the better place to buy from
The popular place here to buy from is www.liverocks.com. Very nice rock and comes with ALOT of life on it (which is good and bad). I have heard good stuff about them, but get my LR from the LFS.

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
as far as protein skimmers / bio wheels go.. i understand that bio wheels are super nitrate factories and i should shy away from them, but can they be used together at al with LR / LS or wouldnt that create to much for the system to handle? .... just curious if a combo of the 2 would be better than just one or the other
good question. While biowheels do have a tendency to produce high NO3, If you have a funtioning DSB with lots of LR (1.5-2lbs/gal) your system will be able to hangle the NO3. However, there is still no reason to use them.
im looking to have live sand and rock... maybe about 25 - 30 lbs of rock and 2-3 inch SB.. what all goes with cleaning them off occasionally? i read turkey basters worked well, but what about the sand, can a clean up crew manage that alone, or is there something that also needs to be done about it?
I do not clean my substrate (LS) and have never used a turkey baster on my LR. i simply rely on my clean up crew to this.

ahh great, thanks alot for the replies :)

this will definitely help me out and get me pointed where i need to go

and thanks for the welcome, glad to be apart of AA :)

Back
Top Bottom