hi i'm new,just wanna bit of advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

liverpool73

Aquarium Advice Newbie
ive got a 5ft tank and just got a yellow tang 2.5" and a regal tang 1" today,can i keep 2 of each?,if so is it best to add them now or wait a liitle while. any info wood be welcome

You should not be adding fish constantly to your tank. You add a fish, maybe two, and then you wait a while, let the tank and its inhabitants become accustomed to the new bioload. But see.. you have two tangs, and compared to lots of other fish, tangs have the largest bioloads. So constantly adding fish, expecially if you're considering adding more tangs, is not a very good idea. I've seen many tanks crash because their owners kept adding more and more new fish as they pleased, not letting the tank catch up with the bioload at hand. If you have added those two tangs already, then i would say waiting AT LEAST two weeks, maybe more would be a good idea before adding any new fish.

Also, how many gallons is your tank? Tangs need lots of swimspace and having four may not be the greatest idea. I know of some 250G tanks that don't even have three tangs in there.. so please specify your equipment. Tank size, protein skimmer, etc..

And beware. Hippo tangs(regal tangs) are extremely notorious for being the ultimate ich magnets. If they become stressed, for any reason, chances are ich will develop if the problem is not solved hastily. Also, like i said before and now that i think of it, i don't think 4 tangs would be a such a great idea. Your bioload will be tremendous. Unless you have a sump that's more than half your tank size lol.. but then again i still don't know what size tank you have. :)

Gotta tell us more about the tank. How many other fish? How old is the tank? How much rock? Skimmer? While you're at it, tell me the nitrate reading pls

Also, you ask can you keep "2 of each". You didn't mean 4 fish didja? If so, that answer'd be "Heck to the no". :) :)

Lol, and that's why i was thinking no. I'm a little rusty on tangs, but 4 of them sounded a tad ridiculous to me. ;)

no didnt want 2 of each,the tanks 500L+ been going about 3months
theres 70-80kgs LR
3 powers heads = about 9000 lph
1 canister fliter with built in uv
deltect hang on skimmer (which is not used all the time just when needed)cos it looks rubbish)
4 t5 lights ,2white,2 blue
last tested yest as follows (all salifert kits)
no2= 0
no3 =10-15
nh4= <25
ph = 8.2
salinity= 1.024
thinking of putting a sump system in but tanks not drilled ,what do u think about overflow boxes?
2common clown fish
2 fire fish
1 yellow tang 2"
1regal tang 1"
spotted blenny
midas blenny
9 corals (various)
cuc
2 blood shrimp
2 cleaner shrimp
4 hermit crabs

the ammonia is fine its the lowest reading on kit
<0.25 is lessthan the lowest reading

salifert is the best on on market
the reading are as follows
<0.25
>2
ihad a sera kit b4 that was all over the place ,i also take samples to shop to get it test its allways fine
what do u think about overflow boxes

I've never used one and prefer drilled tanks, but there are some who use them and have good info on the types that work best. Easily primed, can come back from power outages, etc.

Back
Top Bottom