High nitrate issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Truckgoes

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I know this has been discussed before on other threads but I have a question about my tank. I have a 35 gallon FOWLR tank with 2 clowns, 2 green chromis, a gold headed sleeper gobi, 6 lined wrasse, a coral banded shrimp and 30 lbs of live rock, 20 lbs sand and snails and crabs. My nitrate level has steadily gone up and is currently at 100ppm. We do 20% water changes but our tap water has 20ppm and we feed them half a cube of brine shrimp or mysis shrimp twice a day. Am I over feeding them ? I have a canister filter should I change the filter pads? Thanks for any input.

First you shouldn't be using tap which would eliminate one source of nitrates. Secondly your overstocked imo. Lastly your over feeding and rinsing before you feed will make a big difference also. I feed my reef 2-3 times a week and my fowlr every other day. Your canister will also need to be cleaned weekly to avoid nitrates building up in it.

Back
Top Bottom