High Nitrite any advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hottievols

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 60 gallon saltwater aquarium with 45 lbs of live sand and 45 lbs of live rock. I have had this system up and running for about 4 weeks. The ammonia is 0, the nitrate is very low and the nitrite is high, ph is a consistent 8.0. I have done water changes of 20 gallons every other day for about 2 weeks and cant seem to get the nitrite down. I have also tried using the stress zyme to help and it hasn't worked. HELP!!

Sounds to me like the second stage in cycling the tank. It is normal to have a spike in nitrite if you have a lot of uncured LR. After the Nitryfing bacteria convert that to nitrate you will be well on your way. Do you have any livestock in the tank?

No I don't have fish or inverts as of yet i have been waiting to get my nitrite down first. Since everything I have read says to get it to zero first

Yep, sounds about right, your nitrItes should start dropping and the nitrAtes will go up. I wouldn't worry about the PWCs until the ammonia and nitrItes are at 0.

Back
Top Bottom