High salinity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ameyaraje99

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Since about 2-3 weeks ago, my fish kept dying( 1damsel, shrimps, snails, goby ,1 clown ). I checked everything and it was perfect. A visit to the LFS with a batch of my water indicated that my salinity was off the charts.
Anyways , should I do a major water change or in batches of 20% per day? I still have a clown and a damsel alive in my 30 gallon. Please advise :(

You should do a 20% water change but with just RO/DI water, no salt in it, this will bring it down a little then do like 5% everyday till it is at 023/025

If you don't have one this is the one I recomend. I know it's a little pricey but it will be the last one you ever buy. It's easy to read and is on the money every time.

Vital Sine Refractometers

Regardless if you go for this one or a cheaper one you're best bet is to get some kind of refractometer cuz the SG indicator gauges are off by quite a bit. And Tom tom is right all you need to do is a 20% and add just RO/DI water or Distilled if you are in a pinch. Good luck.

I would not remove 20% of the water and add plain water. That's a drastic and sudden change and that is never a good thing. Exactly how high is your salinity?
I would suggest taking out 1 gal of water/day at most and replace it with fresh water. You never want to have big swings in any water parameter. Everything should be done slowly.

What exactly did you test since you said... "I checked everything and it was perfect."

Thanks for the advice guys.
I'm doing a 20% water change everyday(rodi fresh water). And I tested my water for ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, ph, phosphates. Everything is 0 except fir the nitrates which is still below the recommended levels. The ph is at 8.0.
My salinity before I did any water change was even above the maximum level on my new hydrometer. I think I might invest in a refractometer. Thanks again guys :)

also hydrometers arent really accurate you cant really tell how high or low your salinity is with precision

When I had my hydrometer my salinity was up at 1.028-1.029 and my fish survived that. Yours must be absurdly high?

Yes it was absurdly high. I did a 15% water change every 2 days for the past week. The salinity has decreased to 1.028 now. I think a couple of more fresh water changes should bring it back to 1.023. Thanks for all the help guys.

All,
I really appreciate everyone's contribution here. It definitely helped me. After doing 15% water changes every 2 days, my salinity has dropped to 1.023.
My fish look happy and so am I.
Thanks again guys. Cheers :)

Back
Top Bottom