Hippo tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can't stress enough, watch for ich....I've been battling tangs and ich for years. Matter of fact I have a hippo in hypo salinity treatment now. With tangs,def have a quarantine/hospital tank ready.

you may want to re-evaluate your tank conditions and water quality if you are constantly battling ich with tangs. yes they are more prone to ich, but a properly established tank with good water quality and the correct stock level will keep tangs healthy and plump:) theres got to be an underlying issue with your tank

Once established no problems. Seems capture/shipping has a lot to do with it, especially powders and hippos. Heard every tank has and will always have crypto irritans at some level, it's how the fish and their immune system can handle it. What do you think?

On another note, anybody have a yellow tang turn suddenly from semi aggressive to full on bully. Caught mine terrorizing even the cleaner shrimp.

I myself did check my levels on monday and everything is great all .00 except for phosphate which i always seem to be a 5ppm. As for stock in my tank for the last year my 2 clowns,yellow goby, pygmy coral beauty angle and 3strip damsel have been the only tank mates. I also do by weekly 10g water changes a little light i know but with the small amount of stock i didnt think was bad. I just added a vertex omega 150 skimmer So i felt it was time to add new fish.

**** fat fingers. Patients. But there is nothing that works better then buying a new house and breaking your hand and not working fir 6 weeks to slow the tank growth. ?

PCONN, i firmly believe that crypto is NOT in every tank. i feel that if more people were to follow the correct QT procedures for EVERY single incoming fish, crypto outbreaks would drop dramatically. a very small percentage of hobbyists actually QT, and of that percentage, an even smaller number actually QT for the full 4-6 weeks. so there in lies the problem. to the OP, id LOVE to have a Vertex Omega skimmer! i have one of their older IN-250 skimmer monsters sitting in my basement collecting dust lol. if i broke my hand, id have to request a waterproof cast lol. as for patience, prob the most memorable qoute ive heard was while watching a youtube video of a Mike Paletta interview, he said "nothing good ever happens fast".... remember that when it comes to sw tanks.

I agree. Take your time and appreciate every step. The skimmer is a beast i got it from Bulk Reef Supply when they had there 12 days of christmas deals. $150 off

thats not even fair. my Bubble- Magus curve 7 is only prob 3-4 months old and i love ti, just wish it was a bit bigger. funny part is i was on the BRS site during that sale and even went to click on the same exact Vertex skimmer....and they were sold out.

Also make sure the damsel isn't bullying her at night. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not happening. Hippo tangs are the most skittish fish on the planet.

On another note, anybody have a yellow tang turn suddenly from semi aggressive to full on bully. Caught mine terrorizing even the cleaner shrimp.

Lol get a lion fish he'll turn into a lil girl

Emperor angel should be out of quarantine this week, should set him straight...I hope

My yellow tang is straight out of the gates of hell. I have had him in his one box for weeks in my main tank. the last time i let him out he goes about 90 miles an hour and chases everything in the tank. They can become very territorial if you do not have many fish or if its the first fish in the tank. Im not sure what I'm going to do with mine :/ He terrorizes my blue face angel who is all ready a very shy fish i barely see.

LOL where are you guys getting your yellow tangs from? the Hulk?? if you think yellows are bad, check out the purples. my purple went in AFTER our yellow, purple killed him overnight... bought another yellow (noticeably bigger) and the purple still pushed him into a submissive state. just keep the yellow well fed and give him plenty of swimming room...he will mellow out.

Mine does not mellow I have waited days. He is so angry I do not know why I give him everything a fish dad can.

Back
Top Bottom