Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-16-2013, 12:32 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hippo tang ick

Looking to get a tang however I have heard they get ick easy. How can I keep the tang from getting ick at all? Dont want to lose a tank over one fish.... Have battled ick before and it sucks!

Old 01-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could QT it prior to putting it into the tank. If you put it in without Ich, then its not like it will magically appear. QT each additional fish and your DT should remain Ich-free.

Make sure you have a proper sized tank too. Six foot seems to be the general rule for tangs that get larger. Smaller tanks will cause stress. Stress weakens fish and causes problems. There are those that will argue against the larger tank rule, but after seeing countless stories of sick Tangs (that almost always are in tanks smaller than recommended), I tend to side with the crowd that says go six foot.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ditto to what todd said qt all fish for 3 to 4 weeks and you'll never have a problem with ick in your dt.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

How big of a tank are we talking for quarantine?
Old 01-16-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

obviously the biggest you can fit the better cause it can hold more fish at one time. I would say the smallest should be a 20gal. It gives you a little more leeway with water parameters.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Agreed... Not sure what your current tank size is, but unless you are buying really large fish, 20 should do the trick.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd go one further and actually prophalacticly treat the tang with copper or hyposalinity while in QT since they are so prone to ich anyway.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutrag View Post
I'd go one further and actually prophalacticly treat the tang with copper or hyposalinity while in QT since they are so prone to ich anyway.
That's what I do . Treat all new fish with 4 weeks of hypo. 6 weeks if they break out in ich.
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:11 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondatek View Post

That's what I do . Treat all new fish with 4 weeks of hypo. 6 weeks if they break out in ich.
Will treating for 6 weeks if they have an outbreak kill the parasite if its on them? Does it have to be in the water?
Old 01-17-2013, 03:57 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a Regal Tang and it recently broke out in ick. It was however under a lot of stress but i wont go into that as it isn't relative to this thread.

It has recovered over the last few days as the issue was removed. She seems happy again. About 6 months ago i had a powder brown that broke out in ick and all my other tangs got it too. Including the Regal. She recovered that time also. I removed the powder brown and all tangs recovered.

Quarantine everything if you're going to do it correctly otherwise it will just come back. They say its always present in the tank unless you QT everything before adding it.

One problem iv'e had is that I did not QT everything therefore the parasite was always there. So in effect QT'ing newer fish to the aquarium would have almost been a waste of time.

Tags
hippo, ick, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com