Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-13-2006, 03:50 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

What size is your tank?

Old 05-13-2006, 03:51 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

umm...possibly...i think they need 30 gallons tho. You could go green cromis i think... i didnt really like them at first, but now every time i see a school of them, i think it looks pretty neet actually. Or if you wanted just damsels you could do that, but i woulndt keep damsels with anything, because they are very aggressive. or a clown pair if you wanted?

Old 05-13-2006, 03:55 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I also really like green chromis for some reason, they are very active.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:16 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yeah, i just got back from the lfs, and i decided that once my tank is done cycling, i'm gonna get about 5 chromis too. Its for a 55 gallon tank. I'd also like some advice on them too...would they be good w/a flame angel? And a flame hawkfish? i know hawks can be territorial at times, but dont chromis stay at the top of the tank mostly?
Old 05-13-2006, 05:18 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have 2 chromis with my coral beauty no problem. My chromis are all over the tank most of the time. Also if its any significance I had my chromis in the tank before i added the coral beauty and my percs (2). They are all happy and very active together.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:41 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yeah, thats what i was thinking i should do...ad the chromis first so they are used to everything and do the flame last. or should i do the hawk last, if they even go with the other 2?
Old 05-13-2006, 06:11 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I currently have a 20 gal. tank w/ 3 devil blue damsels but they say I can take them back when I have my tank cycled

my lfs says I can problably keep the regal tang for a yr. or more before maybe out growing the tank because most of them I've seen take a long time to grow

If this doesn't work out I'm just going to get dwarf angelfish
Old 05-13-2006, 11:24 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You win some you lose someI guess...Just because it fits in your tank doesnt mean it should be there. IMO its not very humane to put a fish that needs a large swimming area in a small tank lke a 20g. Would you like to live in a 7x3 cell for a year before you grew a few inches?
Old 05-13-2006, 11:58 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopeder111
my lfs says I can problably keep the regal tang for a yr. or more before maybe out growing the tank because most of them I've seen take a long time to grow
This is a very bad idea and a bad fishkeeping practice. Buy fish suited to your tank. Fish shouldn't be thought of as a piece of rented furniture that can be returned when your done with it. It's stressful on the fish and unfair. Like mentioned already, this fish regardless of how small it is, needs more swimming room than a 20g will offer. And to keep one in a 20g for a year? That's just insane thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goperder111
If this doesn't work out I'm just going to get dwarf angelfish
A 20g is to small for a dwarf angel as well. They need no less than 30g. Small tanks can be very limiting but you still have a good many options for some very colorful fish. Fish suitable to a 20g would be things like damsels, clowns, basslets, gobies, some types of blennies, dartfish/firefish and probably others that I just can't think of right now. There is also a variety of ornamental inverts that would add a splash of color and movement to the tank as well as perform clean up duties. Here is a link to liveaquaria. They have a section for fish suitable to a nano (anything under 30g) type tank. Maybe this will give you some ideas.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/s...fm?pCatId=2124

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/categ.cfm?pCatId=497
Old 05-14-2006, 12:18 AM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
http://www.fantasyreef.com/database/...=getdb&db_id=7

This link is to a search feature where you can search for fish, appropriate to tank size. It is sad that people (the LFS in this case) apply the "throw away" mentality to living creatures. You definitely need to buy fish that are suitable for the size tank you have....or cough up the bucks for a bigger tank. Anything else would be irresponsible in my opinion. You are attempting to find out about the fish first, this is a good thing, but don't depend on just one site. Look at many and you can get a general idea on what the "truth" is.

On another note, I sure wish you would have found us before you made the choice to cycle with damsels.....I sure hope they survive the process.

Tags
20 gallon, hippo, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com