Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-29-2013, 04:07 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yep. I've got 20lbs of LR in my 20 gallon nano, with Purigen and floss pads in the HOB, and my water parameters are perfect.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

That's pretty sweet then. So a little off topic but I have been researching livestock for the tank and I am confused about flame angels. I would like to have one as the center attraction in my tank but some sites say 70 gallons minimum while others say 30. Anyone have any thoughts?

Old 08-29-2013, 04:16 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Evansimp has one in his 40: Evans 40 Gallon Reef (that's the start of his discussion on it, he's got pix).

They can nibble coral and be a little aggressive, but he seems to be having good success with his.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #24

Thanks! That's a nice looking fish. Any recommendations on brands of salt? Is instant ocean ok to use?
Old 08-29-2013, 05:29 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use Instant Ocean and have no problems. I'll switch to Reef Crystals about 6 weeks before I start adding corals, but right now I use their regular salt mix.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:30 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh, and when I mix, I add the salt to the water with the powerhead in the mix container running, the let it go overnight with the powerhead and heater so that it's completely mixed and ready for use the next day.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #27

Great advice. I would have never thought to do that. I'm wondering if I should get a small power head to put on the opposite side of the aquarium facing the live rock to prevent dead spots?
Old 08-29-2013, 06:04 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmifflin View Post
Great advice. I would have never thought to do that. I'm wondering if I should get a small power head to put on the opposite side of the aquarium facing the live rock to prevent dead spots?
i would say move your filter slighty left of the middle on the tank and place the powerhead on the opposite side of the tank up on top facing down towards the intake.. get me? it has to be a nano though something soft or else nothing will survive the torrents lol
Old 08-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #29

Cool. I will do that for sure. Should I just set up without a power head first and see how it does?
Old 08-29-2013, 09:32 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmifflin View Post
Cool. I will do that for sure. Should I just set up without a power head first and see how it does?
As long as you have water movement, (i.e. your filter output) you'll be fine. If you want more flow, add the powerhead.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com