Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-30-2013, 08:31 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Awesome. Wheres a good place to get some good inexpensive live rock?

Old 08-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmifflin View Post
Awesome. Wheres a good place to get some good inexpensive live rock?
Bulk reef supply. I have a group buy planned for next week. See the link in my sig.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmolavi View Post

Bulk reef supply. I have a group buy planned for next week. See the link in my sig.
Big x2 on group buys, everyone saves on shipping.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:54 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post
Big x2 on group buys, everyone saves on shipping.
so how much is the saving percentage compare to regular non-bulk group buyer? and how does everyone save on shipping? i thought shipping is usually flat rate that's determined by the package carrier
Old 08-31-2013, 12:57 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by huizheng1988 View Post

so how much is the saving percentage compare to regular non-bulk group buyer? and how does everyone save on shipping? i thought shipping is usually flat rate that's determined by the package carrier
If its flat rate then you both just split the shipping in half, or if there's 3 of you then 3 ways and so on.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:55 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not with BRS buys. You pay shipping individually, but get up to 21% off products, depending on what they are.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:50 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Not with BRS buys. You pay shipping individually, but get up to 21% off products, depending on what they are.
I don't think your grasping the concept, if a company has a flat rate of $24.00 shipping and you get 60lbs of rock but you and your buddy only need 30lbs each, then you just split the shipping amongst yourselves for $12 each. Its a really simple process and you both save.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:21 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

I don't think your grasping the concept, if a company has a flat rate of $24.00 shipping and you get 60lbs of rock but you and your buddy only need 30lbs each, then you just split the shipping amongst yourselves for $12 each. Its a really simple process and you both save.
Only if you and your buddy are close to each other and can do a local pickup. The standard BRS group buy does not discount shipping beyond their normal discount nor do they offer a multi-ship option. Other stores offer this, BRS does not.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:26 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Only if you and your buddy are close to each other and can do a local pickup. The standard BRS group buy does not discount shipping beyond their normal discount nor do they offer a multi-ship option. Other stores offer this, BRS does not.
Ok ill just stop the madness here I'm not talking about using a site for the actual grouping, I meant one person ordering multiple things for multiple people as his own purchase, they can each pay for their portion of shipping and goods outside that website lol

Anyways to the OP group buys are an awesome way to save a lot of money with friends.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:38 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Ok ill just stop the madness here I'm not talking about using a site for the actual grouping, I meant one person ordering multiple things for multiple people as his own purchase, they can each pay for their portion of shipping and goods outside that website lol

Anyways to the OP group buys are an awesome way to save a lot of money with friends.
I understand what you're saying, but there are other reef stores that do group buys only if everyone is in the same area and they will break the order up for you (and split shipping) automatically, kinda like splitting a check at a restaurant. It's an important distinction, and one that almost threw me for a loop when I bought on my first group buy at BRS.

ETA: </madness>

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com