hob filter for fowlr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmifflin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an aqueon 5575 and a 36 gallon bowfront. If I added a couple of power heads would this be ok for a while if im just planning on a fowlr tank. I would moat likely upgrade later to a hob skimmer or a sump but that would be 6 months or more in the future? Thanks.

Don't do a HOB skimmer if you will run a sump, just get an in-sump model.

WRT your flow, a couple of Koralia Nano 425s should add enough flow for you.

Thanks for the reply but do you think what I have will work for now?

Thanks for the reply but do you think what I have will work for now?

i currently have a 36g bow front with a topfin 75 and i think the outputs on this thing is enough flow, as it is my shrimp hide alot, so i wont be adding any powerheads, maybe a pair of nano's when i go reef with the tank but for now your hob is perfect for that tank, my water has been crystal clear since i started the tank, and i happy with the setup.

Thanks for your reply. Im getting excited. I have been told in the past that I cant run saltwater on a hob filter. Is this just a myth?

Thanks for your reply. Im getting excited. I have been told in the past that I cant run saltwater on a hob filter. Is this just a myth?

well, for a FOWLR you definitely can, just a bit more maintenance is needed, such as monitoring the water parameter and strict water change regiment.

not a myth but just the "old school state of mind" im told. ill be adding a small hob skimmer and pair of koralia nano's later on when i go reef and call it a day (y)

well, for a FOWLR you definitely can, just a bit more maintenance is needed, such as monitoring the water parameter and strict water change regiment.

so far the entire first month my tank was running i did daily parameter checks the first week then twice a week for the last 3 weeks now its once a week and now its pretty stable :D

So how often do you do water changes?

well for the first month i didnt do a water change since my tank was cycling, after the first month its a weekly of about 16% and in a 37g i just do a pwc with my 5gal bucket not all the way to the top, about 6in from the top. (y)

Awesome. Thanks so much for the help. I guess I'm going saltwater. What kind of livestock do you have in yours.

Awesome. Thanks so much for the help. I guess I'm going saltwater. What kind of livestock do you have in yours.

from experience at least wait a month and make sure all your parameters are stable before getting any stock, for one its way more expensive to replace a $35 clown fish than waiting for your tank to be ready lol, i didnt and my fish are fine, happy, and healthy now but it couldve gone seriously wrong.

i have 2 caramel clown fish, 2 skunk cleaner shrimp, 2 peppermint cleaner shrimp, 2 turbo snails, and this weekend ill be getting 4 cyrith snails and 4 nassarus snails, and 8 blue leg hermits to complete my clean-up crew.

after this week ill be adding a yellow watchman goby with accompanied pistol shrimp, and a fire angel fish and a fairy wrasse to complete my tank and ill be happy with it for a while as a FOWLR.

I've seen some beautiful FOWLR tanks run with HOB emperor filters, but frequent media replacement and water changes were necessary...

My tank is, and will be for the foreseeable future, a FOWLR tank running a HOB. In the basket, I just run Purigen, some 5 micron floss, and a chunk of bulk floss. I do a 15% PWC each week, and rince the two floss pieces in old tank water. All of my parameters are spot on and my fish and inverts are all happy and healthy.

Yeah, this is how it was done back in the past. Today, HOB filters and canisters seem to get such a bad rep, but if you're dedicated they can be quite effective at keeping your tank clean and healthy...

Actually, on small tanks, it's not "old school" to run HOBs or canisters at all. You don't need to be any more dedicated with HOBs than you do with a sump/skimmer setup.

on my 36g bow front ill be using a aquaticlife 115 skimmer when i go reef, otherwise my tank stays spotless. to me refugiums and canisters are hyped up. hob filters have always doen the job for me. overkill on the water turn and weekly up keep and your golden.

My tank is, and will be for the foreseeable future, a FOWLR tank running a HOB. In the basket, I just run Purigen, some 5 micron floss, and a chunk of bulk floss. I do a 15% PWC each week, and rince the two floss pieces in old tank water. All of my parameters are spot on and my fish and inverts are all happy and healthy.

I've heard of purigen. I was wanting to add some additional filtration to my aqueon 5575 but I didn't know if I should get a bag of that or some bio balls/ rings?

Purigen all the way (along with Matrix and you're golden). BioBalls are nitrate factories.

Purigen all the way (along with Matrix and you're golden). BioBalls are nitrate factories.

Awesome. So the lr should take care of all the biological filtration needed then?

Back
Top Bottom