HOB Filter for FOWLR Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys,

I have a 40 gallon long aquarium (48x12x17) with approximately 35-50 pounds of live rock inside. I have a protein skimmer currently (Hydor Slim Skim Nano) but it's in my room and sort of loud. I have a little over 2000gph of flow with Hydor Koralias. I am wondering if I could take off my protein skimmer and replace it with an HOB filter (Aquaclear) as a quieter option. I have heard of some people changing what's inside their HOB Filters to be more suited for saltwater instead of freshwater. Please read and give me your ideas!

I would think a HOB filter would be just as loud. I would assume the noise is coming from the water falling back into the tank rather than an air sucking noise? If so, try to put a sponge or even panty hose to break the 'fall' of the water so it isn't as noisy.

I would think a HOB filter would be just as loud. I would assume the noise is coming from the water falling back into the tank rather than an air sucking noise? If so, try to put a sponge or even panty hose to break the 'fall' of the water so it isn't as noisy.

I currently have a protein skimmer not an HOB filter. My protein skimmer has an annoying humming noise that bothers me and it always malfunctions and makes much louder noises. Do you have any ideas on modifications that I could make to an HOB filter (adding things into cartridge) that would make it more appropriate for saltwater use?

I've used HOBs before and they don't need any modification for the most part depending on what you are using it for.
As for the skimmer, have you tried taking apart the pump? Sounds like the impeller could be damaged or not seated right. What kind of skimmer is this we are talking about? They all aren't created equal, that's for sure.

Back
Top Bottom