Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-01-2006, 09:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
HOB filter, marineland penguim

I guess this filter doesn't do much for my sw tank. I was swapping filters and noticed a bunch of little bugs on it, i am guessing hitchhikers that got sucked in. Anyways can i get away with about 1.5lbs of lr and a good skimmer ??? and if yes, what other things could i use my filter for ?

I heard in another forum that people had made them into nano refugiums? can this work ?/

FloridaNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 10:39 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Yes, you can probably do that. Use the filter for a little more water movement and to run carbon, if you need to.

Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 03:19 PM   #3
another newbie

I use mine for carbon and those pellets that remove phos as needed, I put a little in one of the pads where the carbon goes and my diatom bloom went away almost over night. I finally removed the phos pelelts so a little algae will grow for my LM bleemy ..
those little bugs that grow in the filter are great for eating any and everything that makes it to the filter.
when I change pads i usally shake off all the hitch hikers in the sump to help the bio load in it.
Most things that live in filters and sand , are good for the system. that filter is a mini REF. if you don't clean it too much
Old 12-02-2006, 06:15 PM   #4
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Re: HOB filter, marineland penguim

Originally Posted by FloridaNewbie
Anyways can i get away with about 1.5lbs of lr and a good skimmer ??? and if yes, what other things could i use my filter for ?
That is an excellent assumption Leo. Just save your filter incase you have to use GAC. I`ve used LR and a skimmer for nine yrs now. The last two years I`ve added a refuge.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

filter, hob, hob filter, marineland

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com