HOB filter, marineland penguim

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FloridaNewbie

Aquarium Advice Regular
I guess this filter doesn't do much for my sw tank. I was swapping filters and noticed a bunch of little bugs on it, i am guessing hitchhikers that got sucked in. Anyways can i get away with about 1.5lbs of lr and a good skimmer ??? and if yes, what other things could i use my filter for ?

I heard in another forum that people had made them into nano refugiums? can this work ?/
Thanks
leo

Yes, you can probably do that. Use the filter for a little more water movement and to run carbon, if you need to.

another newbie

HI,
I use mine for carbon and those pellets that remove phos as needed, I put a little in one of the pads where the carbon goes and my diatom bloom went away almost over night. I finally removed the phos pelelts so a little algae will grow for my LM bleemy ..
Doug
those little bugs that grow in the filter are great for eating any and everything that makes it to the filter.
when I change pads i usally shake off all the hitch hikers in the sump to help the bio load in it.
Most things that live in filters and sand , are good for the system. that filter is a mini REF. if you don't clean it too much

FloridaNewbie said:
Anyways can i get away with about 1.5lbs of lr and a good skimmer ??? and if yes, what other things could i use my filter for ?

That is an excellent assumption Leo. Just save your filter incase you have to use GAC. I`ve used LR and a skimmer for nine yrs now. The last two years I`ve added a refuge.

Back
Top Bottom