Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-19-2014, 07:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

HOB vs Cannister

Right now on my I'm running a FOWLR, 55gal, live sand and about 30lb LR. I have 2 marinelife penguin 350s with no skimmer. I'm in the market for a skimmer and have been contemplating getting a cannister filter. Its mostly just the noise from the HOBs that is driving me crazy. Suggestions on which one would be best?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 01-19-2014, 07:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

In my opinion the best way to go would be to add a bunch more rock and get that skimmer then ditching the filters. The majority of the beneficial bacteria reside on the rock, so the more you have the stronger your system is for breaking down ammonia and nitrites. The skimmer is a no brainer too, thats always gonna be a help for any tank. lol

But if you have other plans, then I would say look into the fluval canisters, I ran a fluval 305 on my 55g for awhile and it worked very well. The only caveat would be is that you really really have to be on your water changes and cleaning the canister as the nitrate buildup can get crazy.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:14 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

How often are we talking for changes? How much?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 01-21-2014, 12:02 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

A canister is the lesser of two evils, but don't bother. You need a decent sump with a good protein skimmer, if you have space in your stand you can retrofit a sump with an overflow box and put the skimmer in there. Still some noise, but a much smarter filtration choice for a stable marine aquarium.

Tags
cannister, hob

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com