Holly Molly - Bristle Worm!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boulder

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I turned my aquarium light out awhile ago ... but just walked back into the room that we have our aquarium in and flipped on the overhead light. Wow! - to our surprise we saw at least a 8" bristol worm making his way over the live rock.

Any concern with a bristle worm this big? Keep him, trap him, extract him? Could a critter this big make a meal of a shrimp or fish?

I consider them a great part of my clean up crew. Some folks will remove the larger ones, but I have never taken one out of my tank.

Ask Ziggy about how it feels to get a bristle worm quill in your finger. Wear gloves at least. For my money, I would try to get it out of there.

does it hurt? or sting or soemthing? Is it lethal? Also.. i always had a question about the inhabitants of the LR.. wont they try and clime out of the tank and run away or something? I've seen alot of tanks without hoods.. and have just a light fixture up top.

I have a bunch of worms in my tank but none that big. I would take the big one out just because it is UGLY.

HMMMM.....how big would the six-line have to be to eat a 8" brissle worm??? lol.

does it hurt? or sting or soemthing? Is it lethal? Also.. i always had a question about the inhabitants of the LR.. wont they try and clime out of the tank and run away or something? I've seen alot of tanks without hoods.. and have just a light fixture up top.

They will not try and run away. OK maybe a few suicidal snails will try.....

They will not try and run away. OK maybe a few suicidal snails will try.....

ROFLLLLLLLLL!!!!! Suicidal Snails!! hahahahaha. Thats way too funny. My tank is in my room so i think it would be kindof creepy to wake up with a snail right next to your face lol.

Lol.. its when they hit the carpet that they know they're goners. The carpet would suck up all their moisture! lol. funny mental pictures.

So if I elect to go ahead and get this large bristle worm out - does anyone have suggestions on how?

So if I elect to go ahead and get this large bristle worm out - does anyone have suggestions on how?

put on a kitchen glove, wait till he comes out and grab that sucka!!! then wrestle him to the floor and shoot him 3 or 4 times with a 9mm.:gangsta:

Seriously just wait till he comes out and grab him with a gloved hand. make sure he is at least most of the way out of the rock and you get all of him.

I kinda want him out of there knowing how big he is and that it is only gonna continue to grow, but on the other hand I know he is probably a nice part of the clean up crew (and probably has the ability to clean up a lot).

I suppose if I do remove him I would want to try and see if my LFS would take him back versus flushing him away?

I REALLY doubt they are going to want him back. There is a great debate over "bristleworm: friend or foe" I don't really mind the small ones but everyone has an opinion. But that is another can of.....worms:)

Well i dont think you should flush him either because thats just cruel, but to be honest, if we lived anywhere near eachother and you were getting rid of it, i'd take him off your hands. :D

I think you should keep him for now, and if he ever tries anything you dont like.. then i think that would be the correct time to run that botch outa town.

Back
Top Bottom