Hopefully a new SW tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeandCarrie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 43.6 gallon tank according to the calculator I used. Tank interior dimensions are 29.5L x 19.5H x 17.5D.
I don't have much aquarium equipment left, but I did keep two canister filters.
Cascade 700
Filstar XP2
I have a 10gallon basic home setup I intend to use as a QT.

The wife would like a clown tank with maybe 1-2 other fish in it. It will be Live rock and sand otherwise. Eventually, I would like to add maybe a bubble tip. I will need actual lighting at that point though.
I have read countless posts, books, forums in general on starting a SW tank. I don't have a water quality report yet from my local public utility office though. I am in Cheyenne WY if anyone is familiar with their water.

I would like thoughts on what equipment I should be looking to purchase first. Do I need a sump, skimmer, etc. I have no intention of running anything in the canisters other than some carbon. Mostly just want them for the water flow. I have no powerheads, so they would be the turn-over for now.

What do you think?

Thanks for the help, :)

Well you can only have 2 clown fish MAX in that tank. Any more and they will all fight

You wont need a skimmer or sump (Does make things easier) But you will need to be right on with the PWC's If you decide on a nem then id get a skimmer nems like/need very good water also look into a RO/DI unit it will save you money down the road, buying water gets old quick

I am looking around for a full setup for sale before I jump into this tank. Would like a sump, but don't want to deal with the hob overflow.

Had intended on purchasing distilled water from walmart. Its cheap, beats the heck out of RO/DI for cost. Water bill is high enough with the grass, can't do 4/1 waste. Did see a sink unit though that worked out to roughly the same as the distilled.

You think I can only put two fish max in the tank? I figured with around 50-60lbs of LR that it would be sufficient for 4-5 small fish. If its limit is two, then I will go FW and just wait to pick up the 150-180 that I would prefer.

dang, bit bummed about the two fish thing. thought I had done my home work more thoroughly for this tank.

Thanks for the info,

You can put 4-5 small fish in that tank what nu-nu was saying is no more than 2 clowns. Drill your tank you can get a kit from glass-holes it comes with bulkheads and the diamond bit, grab a 20 long and make yourself a nice sump for less than $50

And welcome to AA

I got ya now. Will check into this hole bit. The glass says do not drill, though, tempered I think. will bump the DIY section for sumps.

Will check back later... Got some lookin to do.

Thanks guys,

Mod can close

Decided to go planted until I can gather the required equipment for a proper SW tank. Thanks for all your advice, and the message about animal attractions. They were super helpful.

Back
Top Bottom