Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-01-2003, 04:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

how big a tank for angels?

how big a tank for angels?

i went to the local lfs and saw they had a queen angle, large and also in the juvinile form. I was wondering what size tank they would need, not for my current 100 gal, but for a future tank, as i thought it was so beautiful!

and are they reef safe. I have heard they eat soft corals? would they be okay in a sps tank?

thanx andrew

Old 12-01-2003, 05:22 PM   #2
steve-s

Re: how big a tank for angels?

Large growing angels like the Queen should be housed in a 75 gal or larger set up if you want other large species as well. What was the future tank meant to be?

Quote:
and are they reef safe. I have heard they eat soft corals? would they be okay in a sps tank?
They'll eat it like candy. Mabye not while they are still juvenilles but as they age, they will munch on all types of corals...

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-01-2003, 05:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Smonkey15 Send a message via MSN to Smonkey15
how does that work for a 75 gallon tank? if the fish gets 15 inches and we follow the 1" of fish per 5 gallons he would be already maxed out. i am so curious because it never made sense to me why people would ever buy fish that big because unless you had a 500 gallon tank you couldn't have anything else in there with it!
steve

Figuring out how to keep my fish healthy is like the pethagorean theorem; there is no solution.
Smonkey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 05:59 PM   #4
steve-s

In a wild setting it is more than possible for these angels to get quite large. In a captive environment it is rare they will get beyond 7-9" throughout their lives even in a very large aquarium with ample growing room.

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-01-2003, 06:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

will they eat on all corals, like sps? it will be about a 500 gal hopefully!
Old 12-01-2003, 06:37 PM   #6
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomme
will they eat on all corals, like sps?
They will nip at anything with polyps. LPS, SPS and soft corals; nothing will escape their bite once they become prone to it. They will not typically eat the coral but instead irritate it by nipping at it as they pass by often causing irrepairable damage if doen too often.

Quote:
it will be about a 500 gal hopefully!
Cool! Did you tell the wife yet 8O

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-01-2003, 06:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

na not yet, probably in about 3 years! will a juvinile blue angle be okay in a 100gal for this length of time?
Old 12-01-2003, 06:49 PM   #8
steve-s

Depends on what else if anything that may get housed with the angel. How fast they grow also has alot to do with feedings and other environmental conditions. I personally do not think it will be an issue.

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-01-2003, 06:54 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

cool, whats the chance of it eating the corals do you think, 50/50, and what sort of age do they atart doing this, is it when they start to get there adult colours or later?
Old 12-01-2003, 07:05 PM   #10
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomme
cool, whats the chance of it eating the corals do you think, 50/50, and what sort of age do they atart doing this, is it when they start to get there adult colours or later?
They are pretty much guaranteed to start just before the "change" starts but there is still a good chance there will be the occasional chomp from time to time before hand but not to a destructive point.

Keep in mind that the change in large angels to their adult stage is not a timeframe but rather an environmental reaction. No one has truely documented this but from what I understand it has little do do with size or age.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
angel, angels, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com