How do get a tang to eat its vegetables?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InfernoST

Aquarium Advice Addict
How do you get a tang to eat its vegetables?

Hi gang
I've got a juvenile Blue Caribbean Tang for about 5 days now, he is doing great and eats what little is on the rocks at this point and devours the Spirulina Brine Shrimp. I've tried feeding him the Nori (seaweed) and he refuses to eat it. I chopped up garlic and let it sit on the nori for a while, cleaned it off and tried again, he still didn't go for it. The funny part is there must of been some garlic left on the nori that was now floating in the water column which he ate all of. How do I get him to eat his veggies?

I would just leave a small piece in there and he`ll eventually eat some. Leave it in for a few hours and see what happens.

Copy that, he doesn't seem to like the clip should i try leaving it over night in the clip of just let it float around?

Take his TV away? JK

100% sure it's untoasted right? I've never known one to pass it up. Though in the qt/hosp I just float it, but then I'm not worried about the long term consequences there. Maybe try floating a small piece and see if that interests him. He may still be gun shy.

Take his TV away? JK

100% sure it's untoasted right? I've never known one to pass it up. Though in the qt/hosp I just float it, but then I'm not worried about the long term consequences there. Maybe try floating a small piece and see if that interests him. He may still be gun shy.
ROFL, I think I'll just tune the TV to Discovery on Sunday (Shark week starts) if he doesn't eat his Veggies.:rolleyes: I tried letting some float and he just swims near it then swims away. Where do you get your seaweed? My wife picked ours up at shoprite, the cichlids love it though. He has no qualms about eating his spirulina Brine shrimp like a mad man. If he just wont eat it, what other veggies can i feed him?

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Most Petsmart and LFS sell something like seaweed selects that`s basically the same as what the captain mentioned. I use it all the time. They love it.

Just give it some time. It has to learn that it's food.

Here's my feeding routine. A piece about 4"x4" soaked in Kent Zoe and GarlicXtreme.
nori1.jpg

Fold it like a finger football and put on clip, which is zip tied to piece of live rock rubble.
nori2.jpg

Place in tank and feeding frenzy begins. Every fish in my tank eats it.
nori3.jpg

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

OUCH, That one hurt :tgv:. I got it, you said not toasted so I thought roasted may have been something different, I wont let it happen again. I got it now.

Just give it some time. It has to learn that it's food.

Here's my feeding routine. A piece about 4"x4" soaked in Kent Zoe and GarlicXtreme.
nori1.jpg

Fold it like a finger football and put on clip, which is zip tied to piece of live rock rubble.
nori2.jpg

Place in tank and feeding frenzy begins. Every fish in my tank eats it.
nori3.jpg

You have a beautiful tank there Larry, I hope I'll be able to get mine to look as nice. Thanks for the Info and Pictorial it is quite enjoyable. I'll checkout my LFS in the morning for the Garlic extreme and Zoe, if not then I'll order some. I went out before and was able to get straight dried seaweed with nothing else in it, it's not sheets though. I'll try it in the AM since it 's beddy by time for them now. Thanks again.

I use a brand called Shirakiku Brand "Onigiri Nori" Dried seaweed. Hope that helps...

I use a brand called Shirakiku Brand "Onigiri Nori" Dried seaweed. Hope that helps...
I found straight dried seaweed at my LAS however it's not in sheet form, I'll come up with something to feed it to them.

Back
Top Bottom