How do I feed a pink spotted goby?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jay179

Aquarium Advice Regular
I added a pink spotted goby to my display tank a couple of days ago. Right now I have a 2 inch huma, maroon clown(not aggressive) and a yellowtail damsel(not aggressive). He stays in his cave probably still getting use to his new surroundings. My huma and maroon clown always hog the food at feedings. I am worried if my pink spotted goby will not get any food. At night should I place some brine shrimp by his cave or will he eventually get more aggressive during feeding times? Also should I get him a pistol shrimp? I have a 75 gallon tank. thanks

Try sinking pellets. I used to place them at the cave opening for my goby and pistol. Your goby is acting normal for a new tank, but he most likely will never swim to the top and compete for food. Some food has got to make it to his depth.

You can get a pistol, but not required IMO. Are your rocks on the sand or against the glass bottom. Rocks that sit on top of the sand and burrowing gobies and especially pistols are a disaster waitng to happen.

Jimbo, you know you're a nut, right?? :) :) "airplane noises" ???

Thanks for the replys

I made sure my rock sat on the top of the glass when I setup the tank.

Jimbo, you know you're a nut, right?? :) :) "airplane noises" ???

You're probably right, submarine noises would make much more sense, but then I was hoping he wouldn't ask what noise a submarine makes...

I tried the sinking pellets to feed my goby, but my clowns were such fatties they wouldnt ever let any make it down there.

I was wondering if I did get a pistol shrimp would the huma try and eat it.

I know the pistol shrimp can pack a serious punch.

Yes it will try, and yes they will fight. I wouldn't risk it, just because the pistol packs a punch doesn't make it look any less tasty to the Humu.

I know mine eats flake, mysis, vitamin fortified brine and even some dried seaweed. I think he`ll have his 8 yrs birthday this month.

As long as something makes it down, you are ok. I cut up some frozen table shrimp nd put it in his cave. Less mess than the mysis and he loves it. We have Pinkus for 5 months and he competes with a mated clown pair, foxface, and coral beauty angel. His biggest competition are the clowns, but we make sure to have the clowns eat first and when they are feasting, drop more in for the goby. The highest he has reached in the tank is mid level. Also, we have a pretty good CUC to pick up all the uneaten food from the fish. Good Luck...Pinkus is a trip in our tank, like the mayor up on a rock looking around.

I feed mine a variety of flake, mysis and vitamin fortified brine. They are also sifters so you`ll see them occasionally sifting the sand. I have many pics of mine in my images.

Back
Top Bottom