Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-22-2005, 06:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
How do I get a fish out of the overflow?

I have a 90 gal with built-in overflow. My new Yellow Watchman Goby must've been getting harrassed. He went over/into the overflow. Now he's just hanging out in the bottom there. Looking for ideas on how to get him out. I have a durso standpipe which takes up most of the room in there and makes it difficult to reach down with a net. I'm afraid that if I pull the standpipe out he might go down the tubing toward the sump. I guess that wouldn't be the end of the world but I'd probably have to remove all the LR rubble from the sump to get him.

Anyone have some ingenius solutions? If only he would follow food like my clowns, then it would be easy!

Gatorfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 06:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
when you take out the standpipe, slide a pice of a screen over the hole. Just and Idea...

75 gallon reef oak canopy and stand
4x65 watt Coralife Luner Aqualite
Seaclone skimmer (works for me)
(all glass) modle 3 acrilic sump
300 watt heater

Live stock-
LR: 30 pounds gulf from lr.com and 40 fiji and 20 lbs lace rock from lfs.
2-3 inch ls bed
10 blue legged hermits
5x red legged hermits
6x turbo snails
1x cleaner shrimp
2x tank raised and mated perc clowns
1x Blue damsel
1x Diamond Watchman Goby
1x Puffer fish (not sure on name but know it will , only grow to 3.5 inches)
first-timer89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 06:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Some personal experience here...

Two successful methods depending on the size of the beasty.

1) Suction: One quick suck on the end of a appropriate diametre tubing draws the critter into the tubing. Don't suck too far...

2) Tilt and pour: Remove the overflow from the side of the tank. Tilt and pour the contents into a bucket. I could do this because my overflow connects to flexible tubing.

Special technique used for starfish: Bait and grab. Hold a small bit of food in my fingers...as the starfish invests more and more effort in getting closer to the food eventually enough of him is exposed to grab and pull. (In this case the starfish was occupying the actual "U" part of the siphon)

Good luck!
40 Gal Hex, 10 Gal Sump, CPR overflow with Mag 7 return, Maxxima 35 RO/DI, 10K MH pendant, 2 x 15W actinic, 1 yellow tail damsel, 1 high fin goby, 40lbs LR.com rock, 1 red head goby, 1 algae blenny, Leather, blastomussa, sun, and hammer corals, green polyps, carpet anemone, 2 sexy shrimp...and more LR critters than you could imagine in your worst nightmares.... Mantis in 5 gal
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 06:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
A couple small nets and a quick hand are the best option. I once tried removing the top, adjustable part of the standpipe to get my clown out. Instead, I pulled the entire pipe out and ended up flooding my floor with the 5-10gal of SW that was in my over flow. Be very careful.
Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 09:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to Felf
get a small diameter net that flexes a lot and can reach the bottom of the overflow (if you cant bend the end then you can always cut it off i guess...) bend the net part so it's flat and perpendicular (in an "L" shape) to the handle, lower it down, and slide it under the fish. it's kind of like using a ladle to get soup out of a pot. idk i just thought of it :P
Felf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 09:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist
I used a small net and a long wooden spoon to get my manderin goby out

you could use a small powerhead an try to blow him to the top. just a thought
NewInTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 09:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
It's 2 feet down and at the moment I don't have any nets that are even close to reaching down there. With the standpipe there isn't room for my hand. If my current attempt doesn't work I'll get a long net tomorrow.

What I'm trying now is this: I have an Xterminator mantis trap so I baited it and lowered it down in there and I have a string tied to it. Now if he would just trap himself in there I can pull him out.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:01 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
flood the overflow and let the litle guy comme to the top, stick a net under him and chatch him

Might not be as easy as it sounds))))) good luck
Emancipate yourself from mental slavery,
No one but ourselves can free our minds.
Bob Marley
swissfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 07:42 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well my use of the mantis trap didn't work. I'll have to look for a net with a long handle. Seems most of the responses involve netting him, basically.

I don't understand about flooding the overflow. The water level in the overflow can't be any higher than the tank's water level. It's a builtin-overflow, mind you.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:51 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
Keep us updated.

Mike Jones
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote

flow, overflow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com