How Do I Make My Saltwater Tank Water Crystal Clear?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buddyfrank

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I Change My Water Every Two Weeks And I Change My Fillter Every Week And My Water Is Still Cloudy. I Just Added In Some Tank Cleaners To Help Make The Tank Less Cloudy. Can Someone Help I Want To Make My Water Crystal Clear. Any Advise Would Be Helpful Thank You
Buddy

First a few questions :
How old is your tank ?
What size is your tank?
What do you have in it , LR, LS ? Is the LR cured ?
What inhabitants do you have ?
What filter are you running ?
What PHs are you running?
What kind of salt are you using , and how are you making it , what kind of H20 are you using ? Distilled , tap , RO/DI ?
Are you using any additives other than the "cleaner/clairifier" ?
What are your perameters ?
Ammonia
NitrIte
NItrAte
Calcium?
PH
SPG
Temp
It is normal for a new tank to get cloudy , Rinse your filter in old tank water once a week , once your tank starts to gain more of a biological base you can change them weekly ... but for now just keep the old one in during cycling ;) Stop adding anything to your tank as it is probably something small that will go away on its own:) Answer the above questions so that we can help you to pinpoint the issue :)

i have a 30 gallon tank i had the tank since october. i have live rock and live sand in the tank. the ph is 8.2.
the Ammonia is 0
the NitrIte is 0
the NItrAte is 0
i have a community tank with clownfish, basslet, dragonet, tang
for my cleaning crew i have 10 blue hermit crabs 1 sand sifting sea star
2 zebra snails 2 chestnut snails 3 turbo snails 1 snuck cleaner shrimp 4 peppermint shrimp

Youll probably get some heat from people on keeping a Tang in a 30g what kind is it?? The key to crystal clear water
1. regular water changes weekly if not more making sure that you let the saltwater mix for 24 hours with a powerhead

2. Have a deligent maintenance schedule lots of manual scrubbing of the Algae,
3. following the 10 steps to algae control FantasyReef Databases-Viewing item "10 Step Plan for Nuisance Algae Control"
4. Have a decent clean-up crew for you tank.

A couple questions...

You say you change your filter once a week. What kind of filter is it?

Also... when you said you added some tank cleaners, do you mean snails/crabs, or did you add something chemically to the tank? If chemical, what specifically did you add?

Are you running carbon (activated charcoal) anywhere in the system?

Just trying to help figure out the source. Was it cloudy since you've set up the system, or did this just happen recently? If recently, did it happen right after you added a certain fish?

Welcome aboard!

So, your "live sand" was in a bag with water? Guess I was suspecting the dry sand wasn't rinsed too well or at all.

Did it become cloudy pr was it since October.

I agree. Bad news that your mandarin and sand sifting sea star might not last too long.

Back
Top Bottom