Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-23-2010, 10:55 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad View Post
OK, check the phosphate levels when ya can. Frozen shrimp cubes and flakes are notorius for adding phosphates to a system. Gotta rinse those cubes off in FW and consider tyring something other than the flakes so regularly.

What would you suggest? I also have some blood worms.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:33 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Get a bag of Ocean Nutrition Formula Two (not the cubed in Gel Paks) for the veggy matter, some Formula One for some of the meat (same thing, not the gel cubes), or use some broken up algae sheets (veggie also), and rinse the brine or myisis (I used both) in FW. Put it all in a small tupperware cup and add a few drops of Garlic Guard juice (for the immune system) and some Zoe or other marine vitamin.

Mix it all up, cover and store. You'll know after a while how much to mix so you don't have too much that goes bad in the fridge after a week.

When you get fully sotcked, you might wanna get fancy as I did. Got me some white fish filets, shrimp, scallops, and plenty of fresh algae sheets (broken up into small pieces), put it all in a blender with the garlic guard and zoe. Came out almost like a paste. I then put it in a zip lock and spread it thin. Froze it. Thin pieces were easy to break off. I'd put the forzen pieces in a net and hang it in the tank. Everybody was real fired up of course while it melted and went crazy at feeding time.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:36 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Is there a problem with the gel type food?
Old 03-23-2010, 11:54 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

It doesn't break up well. All kinda sticks together. The stuff in the bag can be crumbled up better in my experience.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 03-23-2010, 11:59 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok. Was wondering if there was an issue with Phosphates or something. I have pretty good luck putting some on a chopstick and swishing it around in the water. Seems to do the trick.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:30 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEverii View Post
Not sure about my phosphate readings. My Nitrate reading are good. Usually a constant 0. My lights are on for about 10 hours a day. For food, im feeding 1/2 cube brine shrimp for my scooter blenny, and about a pinch of flake for my clouns/peppermint shrimp/hermits daily.
Going through something similar and here's some advice I've received:
[edit: Be sure to continue and read the responses to this]
1. Your nitrAte readings are NOT good. Zero is bad for nitrAte, you want a little as it is your sign that the beneficial bacteria ("B") are working (it's their by-product). It is also the form of nitrogen that plants can use, while algae will use the ammonia, which is more readily available. You don't want this. The ammonia will not be available for bacteria "A" to break down to nitrIte, meaning no food for bacteria "B" to convert to nitrAte. This means the bacteria starve to death, there's nothing to control deadly ammonia or nitrIte and they rise, killing your tank's inhabitants, and the algae wins.
2. Cut your lights. Go to 8 hours, maybe 6. Also try breaking up the light period (6 on, 6 off, 6 on, 6 off)

Keep in mind, I'm no expert at all and my problems are in a freshwater tank. Hopefully a true salty expert will stop by and comment on what I've said, but to me this particular statement from the OP might have been overlooked.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:31 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

I disagree that zero is bad for nitrate readings. Plenty of successful tanks have zero nitrates. Below 20ppm is totally acceptable though.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:41 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroDuck View Post

Keep in mind, I'm no expert at all and my problems are in a freshwater tank. Hopefully a true salty expert will stop by and comment on what I've said, but to me this particular statement from the OP might have been overlooked.
I don't think anyone overlooked that statement, because well... it's pretty normal to have zero nitrates AND have an algae problem at the same time. The algae is consuming the nitrates as fast as it can be produced. Same goes with the phosphates. In saltwater, you really want no measurable nitrates. Folks that *do* want some level of nitrates are doing it for other reasons... not to make sure their biological filter is working. If you suspect it's not working, that's why we have ammonia/nitrite test kits.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:33 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Red face

Ok guys, thanks for clarifying.
Like I said, I'm still learning too and was passing on what was working for me. I was wondering if there were commonalities, as I'd like to graduate to sw some day. Guess I should have posed it more in the form of a question as I intended.
Should I edit that so as not to confuse anyone? What are your thoughts on the lights?

Tags
snail, snails

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com