Originally Posted by CEverii
Not sure about my phosphate readings. My Nitrate reading are good. Usually a constant 0. My lights are on for about 10 hours a day. For food, im feeding 1/2 cube brine shrimp for my scooter blenny, and about a pinch of flake for my clouns/peppermint shrimp/hermits daily.
Going through something similar and here's some advice I've received:
[edit: Be sure to continue and read the responses to this]
1. Your nitrAte readings are NOT good. Zero is bad for nitrAte, you want a little as it is your sign that the beneficial bacteria ("B") are working (it's their by-product). It is also the form of nitrogen that plants can use, while algae will use the ammonia, which is more readily available. You don't want this.
The ammonia will not be available for bacteria "A" to break down to nitrIte, meaning no food for bacteria "B" to convert to nitrAte. This means the bacteria starve to death, there's nothing to control deadly ammonia or nitrIte and they rise, killing your tank's inhabitants, and the algae wins.
2. Cut your lights. Go to 8 hours, maybe 6. Also try breaking up the light period (6 on, 6 off, 6 on, 6 off)
Keep in mind, I'm no expert
at all and my problems are in a freshwater
tank. Hopefully a true salty expert will stop by and comment on what I've said, but to me this particular statement from the OP might have been overlooked.