How hard Is it to have a 10 gallon clownfish tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nemodao

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a 10 gallon planted aquarium with 2 filters. The cheap one that you would find in a kit and a tetra whisper. I also a heater. My substrate is Flourish(which is a sand for plants. I have 3 mollies. I want to switch to a FOWLR tank with just a clownfish and a fire fish and a clean up crew. Is this a bad idea, is it very difficult? I had a 55 gallon FOWLR at my old house in Wisconsin but I had to move so we sold it. What else do I need other than a hydrometer,salt, protein skimmer, live rock and food. Can I use my substrate or do I have to buy sand made specifically for saltwater. Do I need a reverse osmosis unit? Or can I just use conditioned tap water? Tds levels in Toronto is low but not 0. Or should I just buy premixed saltwater from my local petshop for $1 per gallon?

I would not put a Clown in anything less than a 20g.

With a 10-20g, I would not run a skimmer. If you did frequent enough water changes, you should be able to keep parameters in check that way.

For a small tank, I would probably just buy from the LFS if it was only $1 a gallon. Less work, IMO. If you decide to mix your own, I would use at least RO. Tap can be questionable, as there could be things in it that you can't test for.

Small tanks can fluctuate quickly, so I would not say that they are "hard", you just have to keep a closer eye on them.

Back
Top Bottom