How is this lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Natterjak

Aquarium Advice Regular
Would this be a good choice for lighting for a 70 gallon tall (about 28" high)?

http://www.hellolights.com/4lamvhoretki1.html

This is a FOWLR tank, but I'm looking for lighting to keep up whatever coral growth there is on the live rocks. I was thinking 2 10K bulbs and 2 03 actinics.

Also, is there a difference between Compact Flourescent and Power Compact lighting? Or are they the same thing?

Hi,

This is a hotly debated topic and many opinions circle about what is enough, what is too much, which spectrums are required, etc. etc. Seems though that you are well with in the ball park. IMO this seems like a fine system for a FOWLR tank with 28" depth (assuming that the lights cover the full length of the tank - you did not give all dimensions). Great price as well. You may want to ask if the bulbs can be individually controlled - that way you can nicely simulate sunrise and sunset with such an arrangement.

Bulb choice is good as well.

As for Power Compact and Compact Flourescent - I believe they are one and the same.

You may want to consider Power Compacts - check www.ahsupply.com the 4 unit 384 watt unit is about $215. Their reflectors are really great.

Oh yeah, sorry, my tank is 36" across, so this would cover the whole length. It didn't sound like the lights could be individually controlled, but I think there may have been a mention of upgrading to two separate ballasts.

I saw the PCs on AHSupply as well, but the price was a little high for me. I was thinking of maybe pairing those with the VHOs down the road if/when I decide to go reef (if I don't get MHs).

Thanks for the input! :)

I think this system would allow you to keep corals that don't have very high lighting demands and would certainly do well for LR maintenance. One thing I might point out is that the $165.00 does not include the bulbs...figure another $100 for them. Also, as a matter of personal preference, I would go with URI bulbs instead of Coralife. 2 white actinics and 2 actinic 03's. I don't like Coralife bulbs and URI is pretty much king when it comes to VHO. You might also look into T-5's. You can get a 4 bulb T-5 retro kit with everything included for about $220.00. 96w PC's go well on a 36" tank as well since they are about 34" long.

Back
Top Bottom