Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-06-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Question how it would effect the fish if I were to change salt

So,

I just bought my friend's 100 gallon tank, along with everything else in his tank (fish, live rock, sand, and temporarily his coral). My friend was using Reef Crystal salt in his tank because he had a reef setup, but I will be using it as just a FOWLR set up and was wondering how it would effect the fish if I were to change salt. I want to change to Instant Ocean.

This all wont happen until after my friend takes his coral out of my tank, of course.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:33 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I'd just do water changes with the new salt.

IMO, if coral is still in there after the move, I'd stick wth the old salt. You're gonna need to do some pretty decent water chamnges after the move and everything is stirred up.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

So after he takes out his coral, start doing water changes with instant ocean?

And by "pretty decent water changes" how much should I do? 30%-40% per change? And changing salt shouldnt effect the fish at all? I just dont want to be making any sudden changes in PH or any chemical imbalances because I know the fish are going to be pretty stressed already from their move.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:41 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Describe the move process you have in mind first.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 12-06-2010, 03:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

My friend is going to be controlling most if it, but from what I'm getting...

1.First, we are going to move the fish, live rock and coral that he has in there now, into buckets, styrofome boxes (the ones you get from ordering fish),and tubs

2.Then we will be draining the water, and hopefully he plans to keep the sand at the bottom, if not, we will be moving that into a tub as well.

3.Unplug and remove the sump from the stand, then begin moving from there.

My house is only roughly a few hundred yards away from his house, but will be driving all of that to my house. Then we will set it up from there, by adding the sand (if we had to remove it) and live rock, then adding the water because we plan on saving most of it. Test the water to see if anything caused a cycle, if so we will do a water change. If the water checks out good, then I want to add the fish.

We will only have his coral for roughly 1-2 weeks, depending on how long it takes for him to get his tank up and running and cycled.

Suggestions and tips?
Old 12-06-2010, 04:20 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I'd suggest new, rinsed arogonite sand. When you disturb the old sand, there will be all kinds of nasties dug up, and may even go thru another cycle releasing ammonia. It might take a couple of days to show up, so don't rely on testing after the move to determine all is OK. I'd also make about 30-50 gallons of salt water with the Reef Crystal salt. Use as much of the existing water as possible too so that the 30-50 is enuf. Search around this site for other's moving experiences to give you a better game plan.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:27 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Following the move and after the coral is out, would changing from Reef Crystals to Instant Ocean effect the fish though? Following up on your suggestion to do decent water changes, how much would you say is decent?
Old 12-06-2010, 04:34 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

I believe I've heard some say 40-50% after a tank move. And I don't believe changing after the corals are gone will bother the fish at all.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:36 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Think I found the answer but I just want to see what others think.

Others have said to do frequent, small water changes. How frequent and how small?
Old 12-06-2010, 04:45 PM   #10
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I personally would just go ahead and do 10-15% PWCs using the new salt mix. That should be gradual enough that it should be OK.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
change, salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com