Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-07-2010, 10:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

How long can a marine aquarium go (120g FOWLR) without power

How long can a marine aquarium go (120g FOWLR) without power before the fish are injured or die?

Old 06-07-2010, 11:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not long, expect die offs within 48 hours. They can go one day but not much more. This is why you should go to a fishing store and purchase a few battery operated aerators. Get the big ones, the ones that run on 12volt car batteries. I personally have a generator that we got for hurricanes that I use to keep my koi alive during a power outage. My indoor fish get the battery operated aerators.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It all depends on your local weather really. If you can keep the tank temp stable and above 78 deg. then it should be alright for a few days but I wouldn't want to go any longer then that. I'd look into a mini generator for your tank. They are pretty small and can run a heater and a PH or two for you.

Here's the one I picked up:
Walmart.com: Honeywell 1,000 Watt 49cc Portable Gas Powered Inverter Generator: Home Improvement

-Chuck
Krypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:06 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have battery back ups on my tank ... Now it will only run the PHs in the event of an outage... We have no where to put a generator plus the fumes are dangerous ...to humans and the other pets we have ...
Many folks use battery run air pumps for bait for their tanks in that size tank you could use atleast 4 of them ...depending on the season you can open windows for natural light and for heat you can try to find hot water to place in bottles to float in the tank tho with that size tank it would probably take quite a few .... It would also take quite a bit of time to drop the temp due to water volume so they should be fine as long as it drops slowly ....I would say with pumps etc you could go up to a week safely ... do remember that water changes will also help you could heat the H20 in the sun if needed but this will also help exchange gases and churn the water ...
You could easily go a week to 10 days without power if you have the ability to move water , depending on temps and times of year and your location JMHOO
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
20 gallon, fowlr, long, marine

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com