Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-23-2009, 06:17 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
I am gonna weigh in on this ... from experience . I have also read that you can go up to 2 weeks or longer .. When I had surgery ,and went on vacation , both about aweek , I did NOT feed , I did have top offs done , I only feed on sunday ,and on wednesday ... that is it , no more than they can eat in 10-15 seconds(this is the normal schedule ) , it prevents them from "missing" any .. less waste means less to decay ....When I went on vacation I fed the night before we left ... I have done this for 5 years or so no issues at all .. they will be fine . As to the lights , I have gone lights out for up to a week as well also with NO issues .. Have fun relax and just show some one how to top off.. you will be fine

Nanoreefing site
2 nanos
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:11 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

yeah they should be fine for three days. if you were really worried, you could get an automatic feeder, and then you would have one for when you might go on a longer trip. you could also get a neighbor to feed them, just put some pre-measured food into a bag and tell them to put the food in the bag into the tank. but be sure to put a lot of water into the tank before you leave so that topping-off wont be much of a problem.

fishmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:20 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
The amount of time a fish can go without feeding depends on health condition of the fish, amount of natural food available on rocks, the type of fish, the "canallbalism" nature of the tank mates (a hungry trigger will make a quick meal of declining chromis in no time). Three days will not be a problem but anything more than a week I will be concerned with. DP
Dr. Dai Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:16 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got back from a 3 day trip. The best advice I received was don't do anything different. Don't feed heavily before you leave. Don't leave food in the tank for when you leave. Don't feed heavily when you get home. A well established tank can go unfed for two weeks in most cases. I have 4 pretty generously sized tangs that eat nonstop, I came home and they were ok--except that my tank started leaking, but that's another story. Bottom line: they'll be ok.

rive1404 is offline   Reply With Quote

food, long

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com