How long do you recommend between adding fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdjxt39

Aquarium Advice Regular
Right now I have 3 damsels. I plan on taking out the 3 damsels and returning them to the LFS, so I was wondering if my idea/plan of getting 2 clownfish, a cleaner shrimp, and maybe a hermit crab is a good idea - or if I should wait longer before adding the new guys to the tank?

Thanks.

Did any water readings change with the angel addition? Even if the nitrate went up only to 10ppm, I'd wait another week or so. Even better, consider a QT tank for new additions. That way you've always got a built in 3 week gap between additions. If the 'trates are at or very near zero, maybe the clowns will work. Get a small pair IMO.

I'd consider another 30 - 40 lbs of rock before you add too much more anyway. Ensure it's fully cured (either before or after you buy it ) in there. Then, as the tank really stabilizes, you can concentrate on a larger cleaning crew - like 15 or 20 hermits, 10 snails and a couple of shrimp maybe. And fish. I'm concerned you're not stable enuf yet for the angel. Clowns can be a lot more hardy during this period as you set up. Still, 4 or 5 hermits and 2-3 small snails might not be bad right now, but watch your water levels.

I know its hard, but you gotta go slow.

Good luck.

I agree with austinsdad. The "rule of thumb" is 1 addition per month, depending on the type of fish. This will let your tank catch up with the bioload. Since you are taking out three fish and your trates are low, you should be able to add the two clowns at the same time. I don't think inverts matter that much, please correct me if I am wrong. Make sure you acclimate them correctly.

Back
Top Bottom