Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-19-2007, 03:33 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Raising the temperature reduces the time spent in the cyst stage. It does NOT cure or kill Ich. I've never heard of the ingredients in Kent Rxp as a cure for Ich. Copper or Hypo are the only cures I know of that work. I used hypo with great success. Just be sure to use a refractometer and be prepared for 10-20% daily water changes in the QT tank to help keep the parameters in line.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 04:31 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
IMO Garlic: feed it to them and put in the water. I know they say it wont cure Ich, I've had success with Garlic Extreme.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:49 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
MO Garlic: feed it to them and put in the water. I know they say it wont cure Ich, I've had success with Garlic Extreme.
Correct, it will not cure ick. However, it widely considered to be a good suppliment to boost the immune system of livestock. It can help them fight the parasite or be less prone to falling to it.
Quote:
Raising the temperature reduces the time spent in the cyst stage. It does NOT cure or kill Ich.
Also very good advice. Stay away form things like Rid Ick or Kick Ick. Set up a QT for effected animals and initiate a hypo treatment.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:12 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Raising the temp into the high 80s or low 90s will cure freshwater ick....which is not at all the same thing as saltwater ick.....which is why the temp method doesn't work for SW.

and don't forget even if you raise the temp a little in your QT tank to speed up the parasite's life cycle, that doesn't change the 8 weeks that the main tank has to remain fishless!
Old 05-24-2007, 06:27 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you have some money to spend you could get a UV sterilizer, It's not a guaranteed way of getting rid of Ich but about 3-4 weeks ago I added a copper banded butterfly to my tank and didn't realize it had ich until too late, I bought an 18w UV and I haven't seen any of my fish with ich since.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:36 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had to treat my fish for ick about a year ago. I went fallow for 8 weeks and treated in a qt with copper. The copper can be very hard on your fish. It blinded my 3 green chromis and I eventually lost them. Hypo is proably less harmfully but you have to have special device to read the salinity. For some reason when your salinity is low it can cause your ph to crash and kill your fish. Good luck
Old 05-25-2007, 12:46 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
It is recommended to use a Portable Refractometer for more accurate readings of salinity.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 12:42 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Speeding up the life cycle is fine as long as there is no host. If you have fish in the system, the ich will not die. A healthy fish could have it and not show signs if its immune system is up to the task. Stress the fish out or make conditions worse and eventually it will be back.

Hypo and Copper and ways to kill it.

Tags
ich, long

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com