Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-16-2008, 11:27 AM   #11
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

It`s very important that you create flow in every area of the tank. I dont see why you cant mix and match. Some areas would would need more than other areas. That`s why I have my SPS corals in the same area.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:14 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
Cause right now I am using my Canister filter as a Source of water flow? and it pumps out 340GPH and my #1 Koralia Pumps out 400GPH so If I add a Koralia #3 would that be enough Flow? I also have my HOB skimmer which also creates flow just wondering what enough and what is not?

Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:22 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

When thinking about the flow, I've always read that you don't consider the return from a skimmer. Unless you can direct that flow, then it's not really adding much to the current in the tank.

You can't really compare the flow put out by a Koralia (or other propeller pump) to the flow from say cannisters or MaxiJets. The flow from a Koralia is so dispersed compared to other sources it's really not the same. For example, I replaced a puny Maxijet 600 with a Koralia 2. By the specs, the Koralia is like 4x the output of the Maxijet. But you wouldn't know it by putting your hand in the tank.

Guess my answer is "... it depends" because there are too many variables to say "yeah... you need X number of Koralia". How you position them, if you bank the flow off any rock or glass, etc all play into the equation.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:48 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Yes you can mix and match them. The only difference is the amount of flow and the size of the pump. For a long time I ran 2 Tunze Nanostreams (660gph) and 1 Koralia 1 in my reef. After setting up my frag system I put the koralia in the frag tank.

I would not suggest putting them on a timer. You have to buy the Koralias that are designed for on/off function the standard ones are not designed for it.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:00 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
Great. I will mix and match and go from there I feel I have enough flow already with the #1 and the flow from my canister filter I will purchase a #3 Koralia once I buy my first few corals. Thanks for all the Advice.

Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com