How many?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
Quick!. How many hydor koralia pumps would be good for a 55g I have 1 right now looking for another one or 2?

Depends on what size you are looking at. FOWLR doesn't require the amount of flow a reef would so it's really up to you.

2x Koralia 3's sounds about right from what I've seen.

I am currently setting up two Koralia 4's, one Koralia 3, plus the canister filter and return sump which generates flow as well... However I have them all on timers so different flows/pumps are on at different times. This is on a 90g.

Depends on what size you are looking at. FOWLR doesn't require the amount of flow a reef would so it's really up to you.

2x Koralia 3's sounds about right from what I've seen.

I am currently setting up two Koralia 4's, one Koralia 3, plus the canister filter and return sump which generates flow as well... However I have them all on timers so different flows/pumps are on at different times. This is on a 90g.

It's going to be reef soon so I just want to upgrade my circulation. So 2 #3 Koralia's for a 55gallon would work out ok?

Mike would know better than me, but I would kinda lean into what Justin says. It will depend on what corals (I know, Tank, I'm with you on what corals and which ones) and Justin's saying put them on timers (again, depending on what corals).

Could we mix and match Koralia? I have a #1 right now should I get a #3 and have a #1 and # 3 going at the same time? Would that be and Issue? I want to eliminate my Canister Filter and just run on Koralia and my Skimmer... If possible...

It`s very important that you create flow in every area of the tank. I dont see why you cant mix and match. Some areas would would need more than other areas. That`s why I have my SPS corals in the same area.

Cause right now I am using my Canister filter as a Source of water flow? and it pumps out 340GPH and my #1 Koralia Pumps out 400GPH so If I add a Koralia #3 would that be enough Flow? I also have my HOB skimmer which also creates flow just wondering what enough and what is not?

When thinking about the flow, I've always read that you don't consider the return from a skimmer. Unless you can direct that flow, then it's not really adding much to the current in the tank.

You can't really compare the flow put out by a Koralia (or other propeller pump) to the flow from say cannisters or MaxiJets. The flow from a Koralia is so dispersed compared to other sources it's really not the same. For example, I replaced a puny Maxijet 600 with a Koralia 2. By the specs, the Koralia is like 4x the output of the Maxijet. But you wouldn't know it by putting your hand in the tank.

Guess my answer is "... it depends" because there are too many variables to say "yeah... you need X number of Koralia". How you position them, if you bank the flow off any rock or glass, etc all play into the equation.

Yes you can mix and match them. The only difference is the amount of flow and the size of the pump. For a long time I ran 2 Tunze Nanostreams (660gph) and 1 Koralia 1 in my reef. After setting up my frag system I put the koralia in the frag tank.

I would not suggest putting them on a timer. You have to buy the Koralias that are designed for on/off function the standard ones are not designed for it.

Great. I will mix and match and go from there I feel I have enough flow already with the #1 and the flow from my canister filter I will purchase a #3 Koralia once I buy my first few corals. Thanks for all the Advice.

:)

Back
Top Bottom