How many fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shab

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How many 3" fish can a 30gal standard tank with approx. 30lbs LR house?

Depends on the fish... Some fish are messy and kinda nasty while others can do better. Do you have a sump or a canister or a HOB filter? Also where in BC are you? I'm on Vancouver Island.

Yep, completely depends on the fish. I had four fish in my 29g standard tank, 2 clowns, goby and a blenny. and of course cuc including a sea hare. :)

lots of ways to be creative in a small tank.

I have a biocube 29g that I plan on stocking with 6 fish most likely. But someof the fish only get to 1" long

I'm in Vancouver :)
I have an HOB atm but I'm planning on saving up and adding a protein skimmer as my fish get bigger and produce more waste. I have 5 fish right now all about an inch long each: 2 o. clowns, 2 green chromis, 1 banggai cardinal.
Sorry my tank is 29 gallons*
Carey I was thinking of going for a total of 6 fish as well, but I can't decide between a coral beauty or a sixline...? I think both would be too much if not bioload-wise then aggression-wise. Any thoughts?

I don't think I would add any more fish to be honest. You have some already that will grow quite a bit.

I'm not sure i'd pick either of those to be honest. if you must add something how about a goby or a blenny? Usually pretty small fish, some blennies can get a few inches though.....

If you had a sump then you would have more biological filtration and then I would say your limit could be higher.

When everything is grown I think you might find its a bit tight in there. Gobies and blennies stay at the bottom which is really nice. some gobies can sift sand, blennies can eat algae...etc...

There are also some pretty cool looking ones. I have a couple red headed gobies in my tank... you would think that in a tank my size you would never see them but they are always perched on something... they look awesome.

I have decided not to add any more fish. I think what made up my mind was today I was at lfs and saw a full grown banggai cardinal...I don't want my own little cardinal "Bangu", or my other fish to feel crowded so I will leave them the space :) Also since I want to convert my fowlr to a reef in the near future, I probably don't want to risk a CB anyway.
Thanks anyway for your guys' input. :)

Back
Top Bottom