Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-06-2011, 07:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

How many fish?

How many 3" fish can a 30gal standard tank with approx. 30lbs LR house?

Old 05-06-2011, 07:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Depends on the fish... Some fish are messy and kinda nasty while others can do better. Do you have a sump or a canister or a HOB filter? Also where in BC are you? I'm on Vancouver Island.

Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yep, completely depends on the fish. I had four fish in my 29g standard tank, 2 clowns, goby and a blenny. and of course cuc including a sea hare.

lots of ways to be creative in a small tank.

I have a biocube 29g that I plan on stocking with 6 fish most likely. But someof the fish only get to 1" long
Old 05-06-2011, 07:45 PM   #4

I'm in Vancouver
I have an HOB atm but I'm planning on saving up and adding a protein skimmer as my fish get bigger and produce more waste. I have 5 fish right now all about an inch long each: 2 o. clowns, 2 green chromis, 1 banggai cardinal.
Sorry my tank is 29 gallons*
Carey I was thinking of going for a total of 6 fish as well, but I can't decide between a coral beauty or a sixline...? I think both would be too much if not bioload-wise then aggression-wise. Any thoughts?
Old 05-06-2011, 07:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I don't think I would add any more fish to be honest. You have some already that will grow quite a bit.

I'm not sure i'd pick either of those to be honest. if you must add something how about a goby or a blenny? Usually pretty small fish, some blennies can get a few inches though.....
Old 05-06-2011, 07:53 PM   #6

for what reason? too little space?
Old 05-06-2011, 07:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you had a sump then you would have more biological filtration and then I would say your limit could be higher.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:58 PM   #8

a sump hmmmmmmmmm
Old 05-06-2011, 08:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

When everything is grown I think you might find its a bit tight in there. Gobies and blennies stay at the bottom which is really nice. some gobies can sift sand, blennies can eat algae...etc...
Old 05-06-2011, 08:04 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

There are also some pretty cool looking ones. I have a couple red headed gobies in my tank... you would think that in a tank my size you would never see them but they are always perched on something... they look awesome.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com