how many fish can go in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilostnemo

Aquarium Advice Addict
im currently setting up a 30g reef not sure about how much rock itll have yet but i was wondering how many clowns and how many cardinals i could get, the clowns im lookin at are just about a inch long and my lfs says fully grown. i was think maybe 3 of each but then i think to much, any help guys :D

There are no clowns that only grow to be 1 inch. So either they're wrong unintentionally or deliberately. The smallest size ANY type of clownfish gets is 3 inches, and those are Amphiprion Percula(True Percula Clowns). The next type that are among the smallest size are Amphiprion Ocellaris(Ocellaris Clownfish). Try using google images to look at both of these because they may look slightly similar but are not. Ocellaris are a more freindly type of clownfish while still being slightly bullyish, and are generally the nicest of their kind.

As for the reef safe fish for a tank as small as a 10G.. try looking at gobies.

Neon Gobies
Clown Gobies
Wheelers or Watchman Goby
etc..

There are a couple cardinals that are small enough to go in a 10G reef like an Orange-Lined Cardinal or a Longspine Cardinal. There are many choices for a nano reef tank, but you are limited in the fact that in a 10G you will probably only be able to have 2-3 fish at the max, so choose carefully.

There are no clowns that only grow to be 1 inch. So either they're wrong unintentionally or deliberately. The smallest size ANY type of clownfish gets is 3 inches, and those are Amphiprion Percula(True Percula Clowns). The next type that are among the smallest size are Amphiprion Ocellaris(Ocellaris Clownfish). Try using google images to look at both of these because they may look slightly similar but are not. Ocellaris are a more freindly type of clownfish while still being slightly bullyish, and are generally the nicest of their kind.

As for the reef safe fish for a tank as small as a 10G.. try looking at gobies.

Neon Gobies
Clown Gobies
Wheelers or Watchman Goby
etc..

There are a couple cardinals that are small enough to go in a 10G reef like an Orange-Lined Cardinal or a Longspine Cardinal. There are many choices for a nano reef tank, but you are limited in the fact that in a 10G you will probably only be able to have 2-3 fish at the max, so choose carefully.
well maybe i mis understood them, but ill be going back tommorrow and ill ask to be sure, and yeah for the 10g i was think maybe just one fish cause im wanting like 3 maybe 4 pounds of LR per gallon with some LPS and SPS and ill have enough lighting i found a 2x39 t5 for a 20 inch tank :) thats over 7 watts per gallon so lol, but with the 30g if these are the smallest clowns how many of them and how many cardinals would fit? i was lookin at striped cardinals

I have my doubts about that fixture fitting a 10g. 39w T5 HO bulbs go in 36" fixtures, in other words you have 16" of excess fixture hanging off of the tank and you will lose a lot of light. Don't go by WPG anymore as it is outdated and factors such as PAR, intensity, and penetration are more important. By 3 of each in the 30g, 3 cardinals would work perfectly, but 3 clowns would be a disaster due to agression/territorial issues. In the 10g, I would say no more than 2-3 carefully selected fish. Four pounds of live rock per gallon is probably WAY too much unless the rock is really dense, but it would still most likely be too much. I agree with Zero, look into gobies for that 10g.

I have my doubts about that fixture fitting a 10g. 39w T5 HO bulbs go in 36" fixtures, in other words you have 16" of excess fixture hanging off of the tank and you will lose a lot of light. Don't go by WPG anymore as it is outdated and factors such as PAR, intensity, and penetration are more important. By 3 of each in the 30g, 3 cardinals would work perfectly, but 3 clowns would be a disaster due to agression/territorial issues. In the 10g, I would say no more than 2-3 carefully selected fish. Four pounds of live rock per gallon is probably WAY too much unless the rock is really dense, but it would still most likely be too much. I agree with Zero, look into gobies for that 10g.

it was on a ten gallon at my lfs being 20 inches... and well would two clowns be safe with the three cardinals or should i step down to just one clown to be sure?. and thats what i was thinking about. i really like the mandarin dragonet but 10g wouldnt there not be to many copepods?

would this stock list work its my ultimate for my 30

1 mandarin dragonet
1 True Percula Clownfish
2 spotted cardinals
1 sixline wrasse

would that be fine? or to much

Both the mandarin and the wrasse eat pods. The 30g would be enough for the one clown and the two PJ's. IMO

You don't really know what would be enough, and it would eventually become a competition between the Wrasse and the Mandarin, like TC said, since they both eat pods like fat pigs.

And i mean, a 30 is a nice size tank.. but it really isn't THAT big. I'll tell you though, if you tried feeding your Dragonet with store-bought pods.. you would sure be making that LFS rich. Dragonets could eradicate a tankfull of pods in probably less than a week, and i've heard this from some people. You should read this thread:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f28/mandarins-123776.html#post1073445

Two clowns and 3 cardinals would be fine. A mandarin would pick a 30g clean of pods in a matter of days. I would lean towards a goby more than a wrasse. Mandarins are not gobies, they are dragonets, very common mistake when people call them gobies.

You don't really know what would be enough, and it would eventually become a competition between the Wrasse and the Mandarin, like TC said, since they both eat pods like fat pigs.

And i mean, a 30 is a nice size tank.. but it really isn't THAT big. I'll tell you though, if you tried feeding your Dragonet with store-bought pods.. you would sure be making that LFS rich. Dragonets could eradicate a tankfull of pods in probably less than a week, and i've heard this from some people. You should read this thread:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f28/mandarins-123776.html#post1073445

i phrased it wrong lol i meant wouldnt it be enough, but thanks lol i wont be getting one now for this tank :)

I would hold off on the goby and see how you like the tank with the fish suggested.

Back
Top Bottom